Federal Department of Foreign Affairs


Main navigation

Sub navigation

Further information

Quick search

Contact Embassy

You are here:

Tourism in Switzerland

Swiss Tourist Office
Driving in Switzerland
Import of meat, tobacco, alcohol and medical goods
Bringing pet animals into Switzerland
Swiss Tourist Office

There is no Swiss Tourist Office in Denmark. For information or brochures, please call 00800 100 200 30 for the rate of a local phone call.

http://www.myswitzerland.com/en.cfm/home  My Switzerland 
http://www.sbb.ch/en/index.htm  Swiss Federal Railways 
http://www.swisshotels.com/hotelsuche.asp?lang=en  Swiss Hotels

Driving in Switzerland

It is not mandatory but highly recommended to equip your car with winter tires between November and April. Your liability might increase should you be involved in a snow induced accident with a car not equipped with winter tires.

However, if you drive on roads where snow chains are required, you have to mount chains on at least two driven wheels, even if your car has an active four-wheel drive.

You are allowed to drive vehicles up to 3.5 tons with spikes between November 1 and April 30. Your car will require a sticker on the back indicating that you are using tires with spikes. The maximum speed for cars with spikes is 50 km on main roads and 80 km/h on national highway. You are not allowed to drive on highways (exceptions: Thusis – San Bernadino Tunnel – Mesocco, Göschenen – Gotthard Tunnel – Airolo).

For the use of national highways Switzerland has introduced in 1985 a road tax for motor vehicles and trailers weighing up to 3.5 tons. The Directorate General of Customs levies this tax by selling motorway tax stickers (vignettes).

http://www.ezv.admin.ch/zollinfo_privat/informationen/00421/index.html?lang=en# Motorway tax sticker 

http://www.tcs.ch/main/de/home/sicherheit/tipps/faq.html  Touring Club (de, fr, it)

Import of meat, tobacco, alcohol and medical goods

You will find detailed information on this topic on the following website:

http://www.ezv.admin.ch/zollinfo_privat/essen_trinken/00356/index.html?lang=en  Swiss Federal Customs Administration

Bringing pet animals into Switzerland

You can find detailed information on this topic on the following website:

http://www.ezv.admin.ch/zollinfo_privat/pflanzen_tiere/00358/index.html?lang=en  Swiss Federal Customs Administration