You are here:
The Military Mission by the Swiss Embassy in Turkey was first established in 1941. In about 65 years of presence, 16 Defence Attachés (DA) served in Ankara. The Swiss DA covers all services (Defence, Military, Naval and Air Attaché).
As a representative of the Federal Department of Defence, Protection of the Population and Sports, and on behalf of the Commander of the Armed Forces, the Defence Attaché main tasks are:
- To explain, enhance and support the Defence Policy of Switzerland, to monitor and understand the Defence Policy of Turkey, as well as the Regional Actors of his other countries of accreditation: Georgia and Azerbaijan.
- Ambassadors Counsellor and Expert in the field of Defence and Security Policy, he also advices in Crisis Prevention and Management.
- To positively promote the Military Bilateral Relations as well as to animate and appreciate the Military Cooperation.
- To report on Developments in Defence, Military and Security matters
To help him to perform his duties, the Defence Attaché is supported by a Team of three persons.
In 2002, the Defence Attaché Office (DAO) was transferred into the new administrative building of the Swiss Embassy. Arrived in January 2011, the Defence Attaché, Lt col Michel Rossier is the Head of the Military Mission.
Adapting to the new security environment in Europe after the end of the cold war and to the trends in Military Affairs, the Swiss Armed Forces have undergone large scale reforms in recent years. Thus, in accordance with the basic document on doctrine, entitled Security through Cooperation, their mission has been defined threefold:
- Area Security and Defence.
- Subsidiary Operations to prevent and overcome vital dangers.
- Contributions to Peace Promotion in the international context.
The Swiss Defence Attachés Network is present in a wide variety of countries with different political systems, cultures and life conditions. The Network of the Defence Attachés, reporting to the International Relations Division in the Staff of the Commander of Armed Forces complies to the Security Policy of Switzerland in three main strategic areas:
- Neighbouring Countries / Europe
- Mediterranean and Central Asia
- Global Actors (USA, Russia, China, Japan)
Switzerland maintains 20 Military Missions all over the world:
Ankara, Beijing, Berlin, Belgrad, Kairo, Kiev, London, Madrid, Moscow, New Delhi, Paris, Rome, Stockholm, Washington, Vienna, Abu Dhabi, Amman, Jakarta, Sarajevo, Islamabad.