Note: the texts under all the headings, with the exception of 'Results achieved', describe the situation before the start of the project.
Juvenile Justice / Prevention of crimes against and by children
The project aims to strengthen the legal and institutional capacity of Bulgarian judicial system in the field of juvenile justice. The project is part of the thematic fund security in Bulgaria. Further information about this fund can be found among the additional information on the very bottom of this page.
Öffentliche Sicherheit erhöhen
- Clear outline of the actual legal framework and existing gaps elaborated
- Outline of the structure, organisation and functioning of the
juvenile justice system and proposals for amendments developed
- Strategy and Action Plan for implementation of suggested legal and
structural amendments developed
- Online manual on juvenile justice elaborated
- System guaranteeing continuous multi-disciplinary training implemented
- Guidelines for setting up pilot juvenile courts developed and presented to the relevant decision makers
- The Juvenile Justice System in Bulgaria is on its way to be aligned and operating according to European and international standards and best practices. Preparations to adapt the legal provisions according to the effective enforcement of the International and European standards in the area of child friendly justice. Policy instruments developed as regards the option of setting up juvenile courts
- A new level of child-friendly hearing capacities has been achieved through the adopted amendments of the Criminal Procedure Code that provide for the use of “blue rooms” and videoconferences in order to avoid contact between the accused and the interrogated minor victim or witness
- Four pilot courts on juvenile justice and three blue rooms that have been realised under the project so far support the practical realization of the child-friendly juvenile justice
- Increased knowledge and enhanced capacity of justice officials and law enforcement authorities on the correct implementation of the UN and international standards related to child friendly justice. Preparative actions for the institutionalisation of juvenile chambers/panel specialisation
Magistrates and law enforcement officials working in the field of juvenile justice.
(i): Elaboration, publication and dissemination of a handbook on application of EU and international standards; (ii): Creation of an on-line training database; (iii): Formulation of a strategy for setting up juvenile chambers within the Bulgarian legal context and practice adopted; (iv): Formulation of a strategy for setting up specialised juvenile courts; (v): Training of 130 professionals; (vi): Development of three types of training modules (judges, prosecutors and practitioners); (vii): Set up of 5 Pilot juvenile Chambers; (viii): Expert study visit to the Institut International des Droits de l'Enfant in Sion, Switzerland
Schweizer Beitrag an die erweiterte EU
|Budget||Laufende Phase Schweizer Beitrag CHF 850'000 Bereits ausgegebenes Schweizer Budget CHF 0 Budget inklusive Projektpartner CHF 1'000'000|
Phase 1 15.09.2012 - 31.03.2018 (Completed)Phase 1 01.07.2013 - 30.06.2018 (Completed) Phase 1 01.07.2013 - 31.12.2017 (Completed) Phase 1 01.04.2014 - 30.09.2018 (Completed) Phase 1 01.05.2014 - 31.12.2017 (Completed)