Note: the texts under all the headings, with the exception of 'Results achieved', describe the situation before the start of the project.
Partnership Block Grant
The project aims to add value through new or enhanced institutional partnerships between Swiss and Bulgarian partner institutions that contribute to the solution of specific development challenges.
Strengthening civil society
- the availability and application of new, innovative approaches and problem-solving methodologies and know-how in Bulgarian partner institutions have increased through new or strengthened partnerships
- at least one substantial development challenge has been addressed and met by each partnership in a way which has increased the ability of the applicant(s) to deal with such challenges beyond the end of the project
- Shape, promote and launch a call for proposals
- Coach the establishment of partnerships b/w Swiss and Bulgarian entities
- Organise and conduct assessment of project proposals and award/contract grant assistance to the respective Bulgarian institutions
- Support and manage a portfolio of about 25 projects with an average grant amount of CHF 64´000 and three projects for an average amount of CHF 200´000
- 27 partnership initiatives supported: 20 out of these projects contribute to the establishment of new partnerships between Swiss and Bulgarian entities, whereas 7 projects are consolidating existing partenrships
- Partnership block grant supports projects in the field of democracy & governance, addictions prevention, cultural initiatives, nature protection, good business practices and care for people and children with specific needs
- The Block Grant Scheme has been implemented 25 to 30 partnerships between Bulgarian and Swiss institutions to deal with a specific project challenge have been established or strengthened
- Resources assigned to the Block Grant Scheme have been well invested and planned outcomes achieved
Longer-term, more process-oriented institutional partnerships which outlive specific projects, as in some cases of twinning between municipalities, are more challenging to establish, particularly among democratically elected leaderships in which office holders may periodically change. The present project is a response to the continuing demand of the Bulgarian non-profit organisations and public authorities for transferring Swiss knowledge and expertise and with respect to promising, sustainable, long-term partnerships.
Within the overall purpose to reduce economic and social disparities between the dynamic urban centers and the structurally weaker peripheral regions of the country, the main objectives of the TF PEF are:
Partnerships set by Swiss and Bulgarian NGOs, territorial entities and social partners.
|Directorate/federal office responsible||
Swiss Contribution to the enlarged EU
|Budget||Current phase Swiss budget CHF 2'800'000 Swiss disbursement to date CHF 0 Budget inclusive project partner CHF 3'100'000|
Phase 3 01.09.2012 - 31.08.2017 (Completed)Phase 2 01.08.2012 - 31.12.2017 (Completed) Phase 1 01.09.2012 - 31.08.2017 (Completed)