Travelling to Switzerland Due to COVID-19, the Swiss government has enacted entry restrictions for travelers from certain countries and territories. For further information, please see: 
Federal Office of Health
Federal Office of Migration

Can I enter Switzerland from Canada? 
(new regulations as of June 26, 2021, 00.01am Swiss time)

  • If you are fully vaccinated with the second dose received at least 15 days before the date of entry to Switzerland and if you have required travel documents /visa: Yes. 
    You will have to present valid proof of vaccination. 
Note: Final authority on validity of proof of vaccination lies with immigration officer at border.
Note: For fully vaccinated travelers who travel before June 26: You are not permitted to enter Switzerland.
  • If you are not, or only partially, vaccinated: No. You are not permitted to enter Switzerland.


I am fully vaccinated, but will travel with an unvaccinated / partially vaccinated child. Is entry for the child possible?

 Persons under the age of 18 year are allowed to enter Switzerland, if they are accompanied by a fully-vaccinated adult.
If the child is older than 16 years, a negative COVID test will still be required.


If I am not permitted to enter Switzerland due to my vaccination status, can I apply for an exemption

The following exemptions exist for individuals who are not, or only partially vaccinated:

  • Swiss citizens (if you do not have a valid Swiss passport, please contact the Consulate General in Montréal or Vancouver)
  • Permanent residents in Switzerland with proof of permanent residency.
  • EU/EFTA citizens with a valid passport
  • Canadians citizens and permanent residents in Canada for documented essential purposes only, subject to authorization.
  • For details please check the website for Federal Office Migration FAQ "Who is not affected by the ban on entry to Switzerland"

What do I have to do to get an exemption for essential travels?

Please email one of the Consulates General of Switzerland:

If you live in BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Yukon, N.W.T please email the Consulate in Vancouver:

All other provinces, please email the Consulate in Montreal:


Do I need to go into quarantine upon entering Switzerland from Canada?

  • If you are fully vaccinated with the second dose received at least 15 days before the date of entry to Switzerland: You are exempt of quarantine obligation. Vaccinations are valid for 12 months from the date of second dose.

  • If you are not, or only partially, vaccinated, but are permitted to enter Switzerland under rules of exemption: Quarantine in Switzerland is mandatory.


Do I have to present a negative PCR Covid-test before boarding the plane?

  • If you are fully vaccinated with the second dose received at least 15 days before the date of entry to Switzerland: No.

  • If you are not, or only partially, vaccinated, but are permitted to enter Switzerland under rules of exemption:  Yes, you have to present valid proof of a negative PCR test, taken not more than 72 hours (time of specimen collection) before boarding.
Note: Final authority on validity of proof of negative PCR test lies with immigration officer at border.
  • Children under the age of 16 years are exempt from the test requirement.


Do I have to fill in a form?

Yes, all international travellers have to fill out and submit the following form prior to boarding a flight to Switzerland: Form for incoming travellers


Can I transit through Switzerland to a third country?

See the website of the State Secretariat for Migration (SEM).


Are facial masks mandatory in Switzerland?

For mask requirements in Switzerland, please consult the latest guidelines here. Please note: Further obligations may apply depending on the canton. 

Travelling to Canada

For information on Canadian measures regarding the conditions of entry into Canada please visit: Government of Canada  

The practical aspects of the implementation of these measures fall within the competence of the Canadian authorities.

If your are flying to Canada as your final destination, you must use the ArriveCAN app to submit your travel and contact information.

Switzerland's Travel Advisory currently advises against non-essential travel to Canada

Life certificate for the Swiss pension AHV/AVS

As of May 1st 2021, the Swiss Compensation Office (SCO) will require a life certificate legalized by a local authority. If it is not possible due to the health situation (e.g. difficulties in getting to the relevant authorities), life certificates may be attested by the insured themselves by signing the document (without the official stamp). In this case, we ask that a copy of a valid identity document (with photo) be attached to the certificate, as well as a witness confirmation (PDF, 146.8 kB, English).

The requested documents may be sent by postal or electronic mail to the Consulate General or direcly to the SCO by email in PDF format.  

Insured Foreign Nationals should have the life certificate legalized by a local authority before sending it to the Consulate, or, as stated above, sending it to the SCO.


For urgent requests, kindly contact the FDFA Helpline (Tel. +41 800 24 7 365 / +41 58 465 33 33) or contact your representation directly.