Marriage and registered partnership

To register either a marriage or a partnership in Switzerland or abroad, your main point of reference is the registry office in which you have decided to celebrate the marriage or conclude your partnership. It is normally this office that decides what documents are required to mark this civil status event.

List of registry offices in Switzerland (de, fr, it)

You are advised nonetheless to learn in advance about the formalities involved and the civil status documents that may have to be prepared prior to the celebration of a civil status event. These advance steps will facilitate matters when it comes to entering your marriage or registered partnership in the Swiss civil status register (Infostar). To register in the register Infostar, the documents listed on this webpage are to be submitted to the Swiss representation competent for the country where the celebration has taken place.

If you plan to take up residence in Switzerland after marrying or registering a partnership, bear in mind that your foreign spouse or partner will need a residence permit and may require an entry visa. Please consult the Visa – Entry to and Residence in Switzerland section regarding an application to enter Switzerland for the purpose of family reunification.

If you are registered with a Swiss representation and have married or entered into a registered partnership in Switzerland you will need to report your change in civil status to the representation concerned so that the register of the Swiss Abroad can be updated. This will require submission of the following documents (as hard copy or in electronic form):

  • photocopy of the Swiss marriage certificate, Swiss family record or Swiss registered partnership document;
  • photocopy of the identity document of the foreign spouse or partner.

There is no fee for the registration in question.

If prior to the marriage or registered partnership your Swiss spouse or partner was not resident in the consular district of the Swiss representation, and plans to take up residence with you following the said civil status event, he or she will have to register in accordance with the application procedure described under the heading “Registration and change of address”.

Registration of Marriage (Marriage in Kazakhstan)

Marriages concluded in Kazakhstan are recognised in Switzerland on condition that there is no impediment to the marriage under Swiss law.

In order that your marriage may be registered with the relevant civil authorities in Switzerland, the documents listed below are required following the marriage ceremony (photocopies are not acceptable):

  • a marriage certificate
  • "Duplicate of the birth certificate" of the foreign spouse (Please make sure that the maiden name of the mother is mentioned in the birth certificate. If not please provide this Embassy with either the marriage certificate of the parents or the birth certificate of the mother)
  • if the foreign spouse has been married before:
    the documents concerning the dissolution of the former marriage, i.e. certificate of divorce (please indicate a former wife's maiden surname) or death certificate
  • civil status confirmation
  • certificate of residence
  • passport of the foreign spouse
  • additional documents may be required (for example extract of criminal record). Please contact the Civil Registry Office in Switzerland

These documents have to be submitted to the Swiss Embassy with Apostille, translated and sealed by a Notary Office.

In order to facilitate the work of the Swiss Embassy the Embassy kindly asks the Swiss spouse to provide the Embassy with photocopies of the Swiss civil documents which had to be submitted to the competent kazakh civil authorities as well as of the Swiss passport.

Please contact the Embassy of Switzerland if the foreign spouse intends to take residence in Switzerland.

Obtaining documents of civil status from Kazakhstan

Civil status documents can be obtained at the "Registration Office of civil status documents" (ZAGS).