Note: the texts under all the headings, with the exception of 'Results achieved', describe the situation before the start of the project.
Renewable Energy across the Alpine Land
The Regional Development Agency of Gorenjska Region improved the energy efficiency in 12 public buildings and introduced renewable energy systems as a source of electricity and heating. The goal to minimize the consumption of energy in public buildings where the energy consumption costs are high could be achieved. The public buildings are used by many inhabitants of the region. Therefore the change of energy or heating source in these buildings is also useful for the promotion of renewable energy.
Protecting the environment
Energy efficiency and renewable energy
- Improved environmental protection and economic growth through the promotion of renewable energy and energy efficiency in the Gorenjska Region.
- The locations shall be used as pilot objects for the promotion of the use of renewable energies in the whole region and an active knowledge transfer to local SMEs shall take place.
- In seven public buildings the insulation is improved and the windows are replaced.
- In 12 public buildings heating pump systems and biomass heating systems are installed.
- Five photovoltaic power plants are installed.
- Expert panels and study tours are organized to promote know-how transfer. Promotional events are organized and promotional material is published to increase the awareness of the importance of renewable energy production. For this purpose also screens are installed at the public buildings, which show the daily energy production, the reduced CO2 and the savings.
- 10 public utility buildings are better insulated and/or are heated with renewable energy.
- 5 photovoltaic power plants are installed and produce roughly 243'000 kwh of electricity per year.
- CO2 emissions are reduced by approximately 700 tons per year.
- Municipalities save approximately EUR 300'000 per year on heating.
- Awareness for the importance of sustainable energy production has
- Know-how transfer to local SMEs in the field of renewable energy and energy efficiency is promoted.
- Regional Development Agency Gorenjska
- Slovenian Government Office for Local Self-Government and Regional Policy
In March 2007, the EU agreed that by 2020, 20% of its total energy requirements would be met through renewable sources of energy – biomass, water, wind and sun. Individual targets were set for each EU member country. To help Slovenia reach its national target, funds are being provided through the Swiss Contribution for the promotion of renewable energy.
Gorenjska is an Alpine region in the north west of Slovenia. As this region has so far had little finance or specialist knowledge, there has been hardly any investment in the promotion of renewable energy.
Inhabitants of the region will benefit from a healthier environment (less CO2 emission) and possible similar projects in the future. The participating municipalities benefit from savings due to the lower energy consumption. The local economy will benefit from the know-how transfer and new business opportunities.
|Directorate/federal office responsible||
Swiss Contribution to the enlarged EU
Slovenian Government Office for Local Self-Government and Regional Policy
|Budget||Current phase Swiss budget CHF 5'293'801 Swiss disbursement to date CHF 5'293'741|
Phase 1 25.10.2010 - 30.09.2015 (Completed)