The Regional Consular Centre requires the following documents to register a marriage:
- Original Certificate of birth of the foreign spouse (full version), issued by the Registrar General of Births, Marriages and Deaths.
- Original Marriage Certificate (Duplicate Original Register), issued by the Registrar General of Births, Marriages and Deaths.
- If foreign spouse is divorced: Original divorce certificate, issued by the High Court of Botswana, Central Business District, Gaborone..
- If foreign spouse is widowed: Original death certificate, issued by the Registrar General of Births, Marriages and Deaths.
- A copy of both marital partners' passports.
- A completed Questionnaire for Marriage Registration; the form may be obtained upon request from the Regional Consular Centre Pretoria.
All documents that are issued in Botswana must be legalised with an Apostille and may not be older than six months when they are submitted to the Regional Consular Center. They will not be returned to you.
An Apostille can be obtained from a representative of the Botswanan authorities, such as a Permanent Secretary, High Court Registrar or District Commissioner.