South Sudan, DCA: Educational Support in Area 1
The two civil wars fought in Area 1 as well as prolonged marginalization in the education system have deprived local communities from access to education for decades. In response, Local Partner 1 (LP1) has worked with Area 1 communities since 1995 and supported the introduction of a new Kenyan curriculum. Improved access and quality of education for all in Area 1 is both a basic human right and a powerful tool to address the cycles of poverty and conflict affecting the communities.
Humanitäre Hilfe & DRR
- Strengthened community engagement and increased retention of pupils in primary schools and students in secondary schools.
- Improved quality of education through improved school management and teaching practice in primary and secondary schools.
- Increased number of pupils and students entering and passing certified primary and secondary school exams.
- 28’267 learners are retained in formal education system.
- 212 teachers have improved their teaching and school management skills.
- 1’900 students have participated in their primary and secondary examinations.
- Andere internationale oder ausländische NGO Norden
Improved access and quality of education in Area 1 is both a basic human right and a powerful tool to address the cycles of poverty and conflict affecting the communities. A recent survey estimates that 4 out of 5 children did not attend school and 44.7% withhold their children from school as a result of negative coping mechanisms. While the earlier curriculum enforced an Islamic and Arab identity, in 1995 a Kenyan curriculum meeting international standards was introduced.
To increase access to quality primary and secondary education in Area 1 for marginalised and conflict-affected communities.
Students of primary and secondary education, secondary school graduates, teachers and head teachers, Parent Teacher Association (PTA) members, county supervisors.
Traditional leaders, Local authority and Kenyan National Examination Council
|Koordination mit anderen Projekten und Akteuren||
LP1, Secretariat of Education (SoE) and Area 1 Coordination Unit
|Budget||Laufende Phase Schweizer Beitrag CHF 240'000 Bereits ausgegebenes Schweizer Budget CHF 239'152 Projekttotal seit Anfangsphase Budget inklusive Projektpartner CHF 240'000|
Phase 1 01.09.2016 - 31.08.2018 (Completed)