Improving access to safe drinking water systems and hygiene practices in mountain regions of Tajikistan – Rasht Valley
Despite sufficient water resources available in Tajikistan, access to safe drinking water remains an important challenge in the country. The project will focus on improving access to safe drinking water for people in mountain areas through the installation or rehabilitation of drinking water systems. It will cover 50 villages with a total population of approximately 45,000 people, thus also contributing to a reduction in water borne diseases in the targeted regions. By focusing on the most neglected and fragile areas, Switzerland supports the efforts of re-connecting the communities and the State and thus of reducing conflict potential and strengthening stability in Tajikistan.
Acqua potabile e strutture igieniche elementari (WASH) (til 2016)
- Increased access to safe drinking water combined with enhanced knowledge and practice of community members regarding appropriate hygiene and sanitation practices.
- Improved capacity of the community, state and non-state actors to organize, design, finance, implement, and maintain sustainable water and sanitation systems.
- Agha Khan Foundation
Tajikistan is a country marked by fragility patterns, among them regional disparities and some mountainous parts of the country being neglected and very poor. Both the Rasht Valley located in the north – eastern part of Tajikistan and Gorno-Badakshon Autonomous Oblast (GBAO), the south–eastern area of Tajikistan bordering Afghanistan, have in the recent past been afflicted by political instability and insecurity. Only 58% of the 7.2 million people living in Tajikistan are provided with centralized, piped drinking water supply through municipal systems, mainly in larger towns and villages. Other residents, overwhelmingly in rural areas and outskirts of towns, use water from different sources, which in most cases do not comply with adequate sanitation and hygiene requirements
Increase the availability of and access to safe drinking water with the aim of reducing water-borne diseases amongst residents of mountainous areas of Tajikistan.
The project will benefit people living in mountain areas of Tajikistan, in particular in Rasht, GBAO, and Khatlon regions. It will cover 50 villages with a total population of approximately 45,000 (average 900 people/village or 130 households) as direct beneficiaries. Approximately, 70% of these systems will be located in Rasht Valley with the other 30% shared evenly among GBAO and Khatlon.
|Effetti a medio termine||
Risultati fasi precedenti:
Aga Khan has an excellent reputation in Tajikistan and has been able to establish a trust relation with the government and the communities. In the water sector, it has contributed to improve access to drinking water services, in particular in moutainous regions. SDC contribution to the Aga Khan project will enable the organisation to expand its intervention in the Rasht Valley, GBAO and Khatlon.
Cooperazione con l'Europa dell'Est
|Partner del progetto||
|Budget||Fase in corso Budget Svizzera CHF 960'000 Budget svizzero attualmente già speso CHF 960'000|
|Fasi del progetto||
Fase 1 01.10.2012 - 30.09.2013 (Completed)