You wish to report your divorce.
Foreign decisions on divorce or legal separation are normally recognised in Switzerland when handed down in the country of domicile or of habitual residence, or the state of nationality of one of the spouses, or if recognised in one of these countries (Federal Act on Private International Law (SR 291)).
To register a divorce pronounced abroad in the Swiss civil status register (Infostar), the originals of the following documents must be as a rule submitted to the Swiss representation with any necessary legalisation for forwarding to Switzerland:
- divorce decree with the date on which it takes effect
- decision concerning the parental authority of any children of the couple with the date when it takes effect
- where applicable, changes of address of the divorced couple
These documents are intended to the competent civil status authority and will not be returned.
Changes in civil status that are legally valid in Thailand (e.g. marriage, divorce, change of name, birth etc.) are also recognized as such in Switzerland. To ensure that the changes made can be recorded in the relevant register in Switzerland, the original documents should be submitted to the Regional Consular Centre Bangkok. Whether the Swiss citizen concerned is registered with this Representation or not is irrelevant.
You will find on this topic the relevant fact sheet that you can click to open it and print it out.
Online information on other topics, and answers to frequently asked questions (FAQ) can be found at all times on the Internet site of the Federal Office for Civil Status in Berne.
Divorce in Switzerland
In the case of a divorce pronounced in Switzerland, persons registered with a Swiss representation abroad are under an obligation to report the change of civil status. This requires submitting the following documents (as hard copy or in electronic form) so that the register of the Swiss abroad can be updated:
- photocopy of the divorce decree with the date on which it takes effect
- photocopy of the decision concerning the parental authority of any children of the couple with the date when it takes effect
- Where applicable changes of address of the divorced couple
There is no fee for the registration in question.