Seeking employment in Switzerland

Every Swiss national who has been living abroad is entitled to work in Switzerland and does not require a work permit. Public and private job placement services are available.

Public employment service

If you live abroad and are looking for employment in Switzerland, State Secretariat for Economic Affairs SECO will be of assistance to you. Together with the cantonal employment offices, the SECO operates a joint information system for job vacancies as part of its employment mediation and labour market observation services. The freely accessible offers are published on the Internet. You can register electronically for these.


Registration form for Swiss citizens living abroad (PDF, 286.7 kB, English)

Your application will be passed on to the cantonal employment offices for the attention of the regional employment centres (RAV) in the regions of your preference and uploaded in the public employment database of the cantonal employment offices and regional employment centres (RAV). If you wish, you can make your application available to registered private job placement agencies. It is possible to make your application anonymous. SECO can advise you on putting together the documents needed for your application and give you support in looking for a job.

You’ll find further information on the webportal

Private employment agencies

In Switzerland, private employment agencies require a licence. The list of licensed companies is included in the directory of employment and temping agencies of the State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO). These commercially operated agencies offer a broad variety of jobs and mediation services.

Directory of employment and temping agencies (de, fr, it)