Registration of birth in the UK
In order to register the birth of a child who has one Swiss parent, the following document is required:
- certified copy of an entry of birth (original document), newly issued (within 6 months). Photocopies or short birth certificates not mentioning the parents' names cannot be accepted.
In order to register the birth of a child of a Swiss mother or father who is not married but where the father or mother has acknowledged the child, the following additional documents have to be presented:
- full birth certificate of the foreign father or mother, newly issued (within 6 months)
- if applicable: divorce decree, marriage certificate or death certificate of former spouse of the foreign father or mother, newly issued (within 6 months)
- copy of the passport of the foreign father or mother
- completed questionnaire to be obtained from the Regional Consular Centre or downloaded:
Unmarried Parents Questionnaire (PDF, Number of pages 5, 137.9 kB)
Please note that children born before 1 January 2006 to a Swiss father not married to the mother did not acquire Swiss citizenship by birth but will have to apply for simplified naturalisation under Article 51 para 2 of the Swiss Citizenship Act.
The documents of civil status will be translated, legalised and forwarded to the Swiss authorities which will retain them.
Non-registered Swiss nationals
Non-registered Swiss nationals wishing to register the birth of their child/children should also provide copies of their Swiss passports or identity cards, together with the non-resident form.
Non-resident form (PDF, 77.5 kB)