Registration of birth in the UK
In order to register the birth of a child who has one Swiss parent, the following document is required:
- certified copy of an entry of birth (original document), newly issued (within 6 months). Photocopies or short birth certificates not mentioning the parents' names cannot be accepted.
In order to register the birth of a child of a Swiss mother or father who is not married but where the father or mother has acknowledged the child, the following additional documents have to be presented:
- full birth certificate of the foreign father or mother, newly issued (within 6 months)
- if applicable: divorce decree, marriage certificate or death certificate of former spouse of the foreign father or mother, newly issued (within 6 months)
- passport of the foreign father or mother (will be returned immediately)
- completed questionnaire to be obtained from the Regional Consular Centre or downloaded:
Unmarried Parents Questionnaire (PDF, Number of pages 5, 137.9 kB)
Please note that children born before 1 January 2006 to a Swiss father not married to the mother did not acquire Swiss citizenship by birth but will have to apply for naturalisation under Article 58c.
The documents of civil status will be translated, legalised and forwarded to the Swiss authorities which will retain them.
Non-registered Swiss nationals
Non-registered Swiss nationals wishing to register the birth of their child/children should also provide copies of their Swiss passports or identity cards, together with the non-resident form.
Non-resident form (PDF, 77.5 kB)