Support for the third International Conference on Financing for Sustainable Development
Switzerland will engage in strategic advocacy and policy influencing partnerships to strengthen its position in the financing for sustainable development process leading up to the 2015 Financing for Development conference in Addis Ababa, and to enhance the preparatory process and the outcome in line with Swiss priorities, in particular by ensuring that the voice of the Private Sector is heard throughout the process.
Employment & economic development
Public sector policy
- United Nations Department on Economic and Social Affairs
In September 2015, the international community is expected to endorse new sustainable development goals (SDGs) to follow the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) which are expiring in 2015. The initial proposal of how such a new development framework Post-2015 will look like – elaborated by UN Members States in the context of the Open Working Group (OWG) on Sustainable Development Goals – indicates that the SDGs will address the reduction of poverty and inequality in all its forms while preserving and promoting global public goods, particularly environmental sustainability.
These ambitious goals will require an equally ambitious financing strategy. To negotiate such a financing strategy, UN Member States have agreed to hold a third international conference on financing for development (FfD), to be held in Addis Ababa from 13 to16 July 2015, as a follow-up to the conferences in Monterrey (2002) and Doha (2008). The purpose of the conference is to: (1) assess progress made in the implementation of the Monterrey Consensus and Doha follow-up conference; (2) identify synergies between the three dimensions of sustainable development (economic; social; environmental); and (3) outline a finance strategy for the sustainable development goals post-2015.
The overall objective of Switzerland’s support to the Post-2015 framework is to achieve sustainable development and eradicate extreme poverty while respecting planetary boundaries as well as fostering peace and security, in fulfillment of human rights obligations and commitments. In the Financing for Sustainable Development (FfSD) process, Switzerland is advocating for a comprehensive, forward looking and holistic financing strategy for the Post-2015 Development Agenda that integrates the three dimensions of sustainable development: economic, social and environmental. In both processes, Switzerland aims at ensuring that Swiss thematic priorities are well reflected in both the Post-2015 Agenda and the accompanying financing framework.
- Negotiating Governments
- Private and Financial Sector in developing and developed countries
- Public in key countries
- Think Tanks and academia
- SDC’s Analysis and Policy Division
The purpose of this single-phase proposal is to support strategic actors in their advocacy and in generating expertise critical to an effective financing framework for the Post-2015 agenda. The support has the following overarching objectives:
1. Shaping the financing framework for the Post-2015 Development Agenda by engaging strategic partners with the convening power to advance issues of high relevance to a future sustainable development financing framework;
2. Enhance the preparatory process for the third international conference on financing for development, to be held in Addis Ababa from 13 to 16 July 2015, by ensuring that the process is transparent and inclusive, in particular by facilitating the contribution of the Private Sector to the intergovernmental negotiations;
3. Support and advance Switzerland’s and SDC’s position, efforts and role in the FfSD process by creating a basis for strategic alliances and critical expertise.
|Directorate/federal office responsible||
United Nations Organization (UNO)
|Budget||Current phase Swiss budget CHF 680'000 Swiss disbursement to date CHF 601'474|
|Project phases||Phase 1 01.11.2014 - 30.06.2022 (Current phase)|