Support to the Creation of Second-tier Cooperatives in the Farming Sector in Cuba
The programme promotes the establishment of non-state organizations (second-tier cooperatives) for the provision of services and products to improve the productivity of small farmers and agricultural cooperatives. These early experiences in the country will provide for learning experiences that will facilitate the development of these self-managed organizations and will contribute to food security.
Agricultura y seguridad alimentaria
Apoyo a las cadenas de valor agrícolas (til 2016)
Cooperativas agrícolas & organizaciones de agricultores
- Direct beneficiaries: 43,230 cooperative members and relatives (33.9% women) belonging to 41 cooperatives in the 4 participating municipalities.
- Indirect beneficiaries: 160,000 inhabitants in the 4 municipalities involved. Producers and inhabitants in another 4 municipalities, who will benefit from project experience replication.
- Cooperative productivity, production and economic performance have been increased through higher forms of cooperative management, applying the gender approach.
- New local and national policies favour the development of higher forms of cooperative management, and experiences are replicated in other municipalities.
- Identification of major bottlenecks in the 4 municipalities, jointly with the cooperatives selected.
- Training for cooperative members and awareness-raising actions for relevant institutions.
- Establishment of Inter-Cooperation Committees in the 4 municipalities.
- Other international or foreign NGO North
- National Association of Small Farmers (ANAP) OXFAM International (NGO)
Cuba currently imports about 80% of food products for domestic consumption due to low agricultural productivity. Over 80% of the land has been transferred to small and medium-sized producers organized into more than 5,500 cooperatives, which so far have failed to maximize their potential because they rely on services and products supplied by inoperative state-owned enterprises. Changes in the local context create the opportunity to develop higher forms of cooperation and integration between and among cooperatives in a position to provide services with the quality required.
Increase food security for more than 160,000 women and men in 4 Cuban municipalities.
|Efectos a medio plazo||
Resultados de las fases anteriores:
|Dirección / Officina Federal responsable||
Cooperación al desarrollo
|Contrapartes del proyecto||
Contraparte del contrato
Organización no gubernamental internacional o extranjera
|Presupuesto||Fase en curso Presupuesto suizo CHF 3'550'000 Presupuesto actual suizo ya emitido CHF 3'509'035|
|Fases del proyecto||Fase 1 01.10.2012 - 31.08.2019 (Fase en curso)|