Support to establishment and development of Macedonian Parliamentary Institute
SDC will continue to support the development of the Macedonian Parliamentary Institute (PI). The PI is department of the Parliamentary Services of the Assembly that shall provide research, archive, library, inhouse training and visltor services. Through the PI services, Members of Parliament (MPs) will have access to information for fact-based debates on laws, contributing to greater quality of laws for citizens.
Stato di diritto - democrazia - diritti dell'uomo
- Central State of South East
- Other Swiss academic and research institutions
- Other international or foreign NGO North
- Settore privato svizzero
The Republic of Macedonia is a parliamentary democracy with a unicameral parliament. The Assembly consists of 123 MPs, elected every four years (last in April 2014). Despite the widening gap on political topics In the Assembly, there has been consensus among MPs from all parliamentary groups about the need to strengthen the Assembly's capacities. Based on this consensus, SDC has supported the Assembly since 2009 in the conceptualisation and establishment of the PI, which is considered key to the Assembly's Institutional strengthening.
The overall goal of the project is to contribute to the mission of the PI "to strengthen the legislative and oversight function of the Assembly of the Republic of Macedonia through securing timely, unbiased, objective and accessible services to the legislature" by supporting the PI Strategic Plan.
Once fully developed, the PI will directly serve Members of Parliament and Parliamentary Services staff with its research, archive, library and training services as well as citizens with its visitor services and general promotion services (target group). Beneficiaries are all citizens of Macedonia, through improved quality of laws and through increased accessibility of Assembly.
Risultati principali attesi:
• Adding value to the legislative process in the Assembly
• Building the reputation and the capacities of the Parliamentary Institute
• Increasing public awareness for the role of the legislature
Risultati fasi precedenti:
• The PI is staffed and equipped, with 25 trained staff and modern equipment. The PI started providing services to MPs In mid-2014. The PI team Is gender- and ethnically- balanced and multi-lingual.
• The PI is established as an integral part of the Assembly i.e. it Is a department in the Parliamentary Service and its staff members are civil servants. A Steering Council, a parliament body formed by MPs from all parliamentary groups and representatives of the Parliamentary Service, has been formed to oversee the work of the PI and ensure its impartiality. The relevant laws and bylaws needed to establish the PI were adopted.
Cooperazione con l'Europa dell'Est
|Partner del progetto||
ONG internazionale o straniera
Instituzione statale straniera
Instituzione universitaria e di ricerca svizzera
USAID (US) and EIDHR (EU) projects with the Assembly. Coordination through „ Informal Donor Working Group on Parliament".
|Budget||Fase in corso Budget Svizzera CHF 2'533'000 Budget svizzero attualmente già speso CHF 1'874'375|
|Fasi del progetto||
Fase 3 01.01.2015 - 31.12.2017 (Completed)Fase 2 01.12.2009 - 31.12.2014 (Completed)