Federal Councillor Didier Burkhalter is taking part in the Shangri-La Dialogue Asian security summit and will co-chair together with South Korea the Asian conference of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE). During his visit to Vietnam, Mr Burkhalter will open the new Swiss consulate general in Ho Chi Minh City.
Federal Councillor Didier Burkhalter to travel to Singapore, South Korea and Vietnam
Friday, 29.05.2015 Wednesday, 03.06.2015
Location: Singapur, Südkorea, Vietnam
Security issues are the focal point of his visit to three Asian states. From 29 to 31 May 2015 Mr Burkhalter is taking part in the Shangri-La Dialogue in Singapore, giving him the opportunity to discuss counterterrorism measures with Asian partners, in particular the activities of the Global Community Engagement and Resilience Fund, which are supported by Switzerland. On 1 June 2015 the Asian Conference of the OSCE is to take place under the co-chairmanship of Mr Burkhalter – in his capacity as chairperson of the Contact Group with the Asian Partners for Co-operation – and his South Korean counterpart, Yun Byung-se.
Opening of the new consulate general in Ho Chi Minh City
Mr Burkhalter will take the opportunity provided by his stay in Asia to conduct bilateral talks, meeting in Singapore with the prime minister, Lee Hsien Loong, and the foreign minister, Kasiviswanathan Shanmugam and, in South Korea, with President Park Geun-hye and the foreign minister, Yun Byung-se.
Political talks are also scheduled for Mr Burkhalter's visit to Vietnam where he will meet with the deputy prime minister, Hoàng Trung Hải, and the foreign minister, Phạm Bình Minh, on 2 June 2015 in Hanoi. Mr Burkhalter will also open the new Swiss consulate general in Ho Chi Minh City (formerly Saigon).
- OSCE Asian Conference: Counterterrorism, cyberspace and disaster prevention are possible areas for strengthened cooperation says Federal Councillor Didier Burkhalter, 1 June 2015
- Federal Councillor Didier Burkhalter meets with South Korea's President Park Geun-hye and Foreign Minister Yun Byung-se to discuss regional security in Asi, 1 June 2015
- Federal Councillor Didier Burkhalter stresses importance of shared dialogue and joint action for security in Asia, 30 May 2015
- Political talks in Singapore: Federal Councillor Didier Burkhalter discusses concrete implementation of bilateral Declaration of Enhanced Partnership, 30 May 2015
- Cooperative security and bilateral matters: Federal Councillor Didier Burkhalter to travel to Singapore, South Korea and Vietnam, 26 May 2015