Note: the texts under all the headings, with the exception of 'Results achieved', describe the situation before the start of the project.
Water Supply Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen
Switzerland is contributing CHF 7.803 mio. to improve the water supply network in 11 municipalities of the subregion Borsod-Abaúd Zemplén. Additionally, a water supply network will be introduced in two settlements that are so far only partly or not at all connected to a network.
Protecting the environment
Drinking water supply
- To provide the same service level (security of supply and quality) in all municipalities supplied by the water company.
- To maintain the price of water affordable for all consumers of the supplied region.
- To enable the water company to invest certain savings due to this project into the rehabilitation of the entire network even after this project is implemented.
- Construction works in 13 settlements with a total population of about 40’000 people (network rehabilitation and extension) have been completed. As a result, the water supply network in these settlements is built and has been extended in accordance with the original objectives.
- 4.7 km of new pipeline was installed and 70.5 km of asbestos cement pipeline has been replaced.
- Network water losses dropped by 94%.
- Operating costs were reduced by more than 10%.
- Hungarian National Development Agency
The water company (Borsodvíz Zrt.), a publicly owned company that owns the water infrastructure, strives to rehabilitate the most critical elements of its water supply network in 11 municipalities of the micro-regions of Abaúj-Hegyköz, Mezőcsát and Tokaj. The transportation mains, city mains and household connections suffer from early aging due to poor quality of the pipes, un-thorough execution of the mounting works and insufficient bedding of the pipes. Furthermore the deterioration is accelerated by the aggressive geological conditions. Additionally, the water company plans to introduce a water supply network in the Emőd-Adordjántanya and Sima settlements that are only partly or not at all connected to a network.
The 13 municipalities of the subregion Borsod Abaúd-Zemplén, GW Borsodvíz Ltd., the 38'520 inhabitants as well as the 30'000 tourists.
Partial replacement of the water supply network. Rebuilding of the water supply network in the settlements Sima and Emőd-Adordjántanya.
|Directorate/federal office responsible||
Swiss Contribution to the enlarged EU
VÁTI Ltd and Borsodvíz Zrt. Water Company
|Budget||Current phase Swiss budget CHF 7'803'000 Swiss disbursement to date CHF 7'739'131|
Phase 1 10.11.2010 - 30.04.2017 (Completed)