Note: the texts under all the headings, with the exception of 'Results achieved', describe the situation before the start of the project.
Extension of Metro Line no 4 pre-feasibility and feasibility studies
Heavy traffic, pollution and an under-dimensioned street network became the order of the day in Bucharest. Substantial investments in the existing metro network, operated by Metrorex, are urgent. Since it is planned to extend the M4 metro line, this projects supports the preparation of a pre-feasibility study and a feasibility study, based on whose Metrorex will be able to reach out to potential donors to secure financing for the actual implementation of this large infrastructure project.
- Preparation of a pre-feasibility study for the extension of metro line 4 between Gara de Nord and Gara Progresu.
- Preparation of a feasibility study for the extension of metro line 4 between Gara de Nord and Gara Progresu.
- Preparation of a multi-modal motion study for Bucharest with special emphasis on the metro line 4 extension.
- Preparation of security studies related to the potential increase of traffic.
- Support of an institutional partnership between Metrorex and a Swiss public transportation company.
- The public transport network along the new metro line route was analysed.
- The investment opportunity and number of strategic options and technical scenarios were assessed.
- The pre-feasibility study was approved, the favorable option selected and the elaboration of the feasibility study is on track.
- Justification of the investment necessity and opportunity of the metro line 4 extension between Gara de Nord and Gara Progresu.
- Determination of financially and technically sustainable and feasible options through performing a pre-feasibility study and a feasibility study.
- Selection of the optimal solution for the planned investments.
- Conduction of a mobility study.
- Conduction of a security study for the (extended) metro line 4.
- Institutions étatiques étrangères
- Romanian Ministry of Public Finance and Romanian Ministry of Regional Development and Public Administration
Bucharest faces increasing difficulties in providing good quality transport for its citizens. Car numbers have been increasing, resulting in significant congestion, pollution and parking problems. Although a metro network exists, there is an urgent need for substantial investments into it. In order to take a step in this direction, this project supports the preparation of a pre-feasibility study and a feasibility study required for an important extension of the M4 metro line in Bucharest, between Gara de Nord and Gara Progresu. The extension includes 14 km of underground line with 14 stations, fixed installations and rolling stock at an estimated cost of over 1 billion Euro. It links the city center to the south of Bucharest and to two major railway stations. The PFS and the FS are required to secure financing for this large infrastructure project.
With this project, the operator Metrorex, will be provided with an in-depth analysis of the optimal option for the extension of the M4 metro line in order to allow the financing and implementation of this major urban transportation project in Bucharest.
The goal of the project is to elaborate the PFS and FS of the M4 line extension from Bucharest North railway station (Gara de Nord) to Progresu railway station (Gara Progresu), comprising 14 kilometers of metro rail, including excavations and tunnels for rail network and stations respectively, 14 stations, signaling, electro-mechanical system, all ancillary facilities and rolling stock.
The direct beneficiary is S.C. Metrorex S.A. who will be able to push forward one of its main extension projects. Indirect beneficiaries are all potential passengers who will benefit of an improved public transportation system, the inhabitants of the concerned area who will benefit of better economic conditions and all the inhabitants of Bucharest and its surroundings who will benefit of reduced air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions through the anticipated modal transfer.
Principaux résultats attendus:
|Direction/office fédéral responsable||
Contribution suisse à l'UE élargie
|Partenaire de projet||
Partenaire de mise en œuvre
S.C. Metrorex S.A. (Operator of the Bucharest metro system)
|Budget||Phase en cours Budget de la Suisse CHF 8'500'000 Budget suisse déjà attribué CHF 512'759|
|Phases du projet||
Phase 1 24.09.2013 - 07.09.2019 (Completed)