The Permanent Mission of Switzerland to the OSCE, the United Nations and the International Organisations in Vienna represents Swiss interests and positions at the UN and other international organisations based in Vienna. In addition it provides a line of communication between Swiss authorities and the international organisations in Vienna, fosters contacts with decision-makers within the UN and identifies opportunities for Switzerland to participate in projects carried out by these organisations.
The mission represents Switzerland's interests and positions in the UN institutions and other organisations based in Vienna in line with Switzerland's political priorities. It works closely with the FDFA and other Swiss federal agencies, including the Federal Offices for Public Health (FOH), Energy (FOE), Justice (FOJ) and Police (fedpol), as well as with the State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO).
Its tasks include:
► Representing Switzerland's interests and positions in UN system governing bodies in Vienna, particularly in:
- the Commission on Narcotic Drugs (CND) and the Commission on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice (CCPCJ), two functional commissions of the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) that together act as the governing bodies of the UN Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC).
- the Conference of Parties to the UN Convention against Transnational Organized Crime (UNTOC) and that of the UN Convention against Corruption (UNCAC)
- the Board of Governors of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)
- the Industrial Development Board of the UN Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO)
- the Preparatory Commission (PrepCom) for the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO)
- other commissions and committees meeting in Vienna, various working groups established by the above-mentioned bodies, as well as regional and caucus groups.
► Coordinating and ensuring the exchange of information between Swiss authorities and Vienna-based international organisations and supporting the work of Swiss delegates to these and other UN bodies
► Liaising with key officials within the UN secretariat and international organisations, and cooperating with permanent missions of other countries
► Identifying opportunities for Swiss contributions to technical assistance projects carried out by the UN and international organisations.