Note: the texts under all the headings, with the exception of 'Results achieved', describe the situation before the start of the project.
Integrated Project for Social Inclusion of Roma and Other Vulnerable Groups in the municipalities of Burgas, Sredets and Malko Tarnovo
The goal of the project “Integrated Approach for Inclusion of Roma and other vulnerable Groups in Burgas Municipality" is to support the Bulgarian Government to implement the National Strategy for the Integration of Roma in Bulgaria (2012-2020) which aims at improving their living conditions through better access to services and rights for the Roma community and at empowering Roma through strengthened cultural integration and identity, improved acceptance and enhanced Roma participation in decision making/policy institutions.
Improving social security
- Improvement of the living conditions by providing easier access to the Roma community and other vulnerable groups from Burgas, Sredets and Malko Tarnovo to services and human rights and strengthening of their cultural identity
- Creation of suitable conditions for sustainable integration of marginalized and socially excluded Roma and other vulnerable groups from Burgas, Sredets and Malko Tarnovo by introducing integrated services and activities, combining measures, facilitating the access to education, health and preventive measures, strengthening of the cultural identity and measures for community development
- Built childcare center and conducted overall repair of the existing buildings of kindergartens
- Established Centre for community development in Pobeda neighbourhood in the town of Sredets
- Groups for all-day and extracurricular education of students from 1st to 4th grade
- Individual programmes for personal development
- Trained teachers and education mediators
- Information campaigns
- Conducted prophylactic gynecological examinations
- 500 parents were engaged in the Active Parents and Responsible Parents clubs
- 4 educational mediators are operating
- Community Center in Sredec is providing para-scholar activities for 50 children and 100 parents
- 2000 individuals were covered by health campaigns
- 519 gynecological and 460 pediatric consultations were carried out
- Conducting overall repair of the existing buidings of kindergartens in order to provide equal access to pre-school education and full enrolment of the children of Roma origin from the segregated neighborhoods;
- Selection, training and appointment of educational mediators in Burgas and Sredets;
- Training of the pedagogical staff of schools (Burgas and Sredets) and kindergarten (Zvezdets);
- Creating a suitable environment for the functioning of medical offices in the segregated neighbourhoods and the small settlements with predominant Roma population
- Expanding of health knowledge and providing access to health information to the target population through conducting health awareness campaign with specific focus on primary healthcare, reproductive health and family planing, mother and child health;
- Selection, training and appointment of 6 health mediators. After the completion of the project the health mediators shall continue their work in the respective municipality through delegated budgets.
- Conducting medical consultations (obstetrical, pediatric and general) for the target groups
Burgas District - the municipalities of Burgas, Sredets and Malko Tarnovo - fall into the Southeastern region of planning with Burgas as a district center. According to 2011 census, the population is 370 544 people, of whom 18 424 identify themselves as Roma. The main problems are i) lack of childcare facilities such as kindergarten and schools, ii) low academic achievements of students from І to ІV grade and drop-out of students from the education system, iii) inability of students to continue their education after the 8th grade iv) a part of the Roma population is not insured or have cancelled their health insurance , v) those who are covered by the health insurance (children 0-18 and pensioners), are not registered with a GP and vi) most of the diseases are the result of bad hygienic living conditions and poverty, which cause various infectious diseases.
Roma and other vulnerable groups
(by the end of 2018)
|Directorate/federal office responsible||
Swiss Contribution to the enlarged EU
Foreign state institution
|Budget||Current phase Swiss budget CHF 1'299'990 Swiss disbursement to date CHF 261'354 Budget inclusive project partner CHF 1'529'400|
Phase 6 01.07.2015 - 30.04.2019 (Completed)Phase 5 01.07.2015 - 30.04.2019 (Completed) Phase 4 01.07.2015 - 30.04.2019 (Completed)