After your marriage/partnership performed abroad

Please refer to the French, German or Spanish page for country-specific information.

You must report your marriage or registered partnership performed abroad to your Swiss representation so that the data in the various Swiss registers can be updated.

The foreign authorities generally do not inform the Swiss representation of your union. You are therefore required to submit the necessary documents to your Swiss representation so that the civil status authority in Switzerland can enter your union into its register. The change of your civil status must also be entered by your Swiss representation into the Register of the Swiss Abroad. These procedures are free of charge and may take some time.