The Agreement on the carriage of goods of 1990 set out the controls and formalities applying to goods traffic between Switzerland and the European Union (EU) and coordinated cooperation at border posts.
In 2009, the Agreement was formally replaced by the expanded Agreement on customs facilitation and security. In addition to the existing customs facilitation, the new Agreement governs cooperation in the field of customs security and prevents the application to Switzerland of EU security measures that apply to third countries, such as the obligation to notify imports in advance. This simplifies customs controls for the more than 24,000 lorries that cross the Swiss border every day.
- 01.01.2011: Entry into force of the amended Agreement on customs facilitation and security
- 18.06.2010: Approval by Parliament
- 01.07.2009: Provisional implementation of the amended Agreement
- 25.06.2009: Signing of the amended Agreement on customs facilitation and security
- 01.07.1991: Entry into force of the Agreement on the carriage of goods
- 13.03.1991: Approval by Parliament
- 21.11.1990: Signing of the Agreement on the carriage of goods
Status January 2020