Relations between Switzerland and the European Union (EU) are very close and are based on a network of agreements made up of some 20 main bilateral agreements and around 100 other agreements.
Over the past few years, Switzerland and the EU have been negotiating an agreement on institutional matters, aimed at ensuring a more uniform and efficient application of existing and future market access agreements. On 7 December 2018 the Federal Council decided to launch a broad consultation on the negotiated text.
- 7.12.2018: The Federal Council takes note of the outcome of the negotiations
- 2.3.2018: Clarification of the negotiation mandate by the Federal Council
- 22.5.2014: Start of the negotiations
- 6.5.2014: Adoption of the negotiating mandate by the Council of the EU
- 18.12.2013: Adoption of the negotiating mandate by the Federal Council
Status March 2019