Strengthening Rule of Law in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
The Strengthening Rule of Law in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) project aims to increase access to justice for the people, especially women and other vulnerable groups in KP, and support the government in its efforts to stabilise the region by strengthening the legal system. This project aims to support KP transition out of fragility by ‘establishing and strengthening people’s security’ and ‘addressing injustices’.
Sviluppo legale e giudiziario
Diritti dell'uomo (diritti delle donne inclusi)
- The population in Malakand Division, especially vulnerable groups, has increased access to improved justice, legal aid and representation mechanisms.
- Courts have improved capacity to provide effective and timely justice services to the population in Malakand.
- Improved legal aid system serving the needs of poor, vulnerable and marginalized communities.
- Bar associations undertake more pro-bono cases.
- Increased legal Awareness among communities, especially vulnerable groups.
- Increased numbers of female lawyers and female law graduates entering mainstream legal practice.
- Research studies on citizen perception and satisfaction on the legal profession/legal aid undertaken.
- Knowledge and skills of judges and court staff enhanced for better service delivery.
- Monitoring, Supervisory system of the High Court improved.
- Justice delivery expedited through improving auxiliary and courts' attached department.
- Programma di sviluppo delle Nazioni Unite
- UNDP Early Recovery and Response Project
- Multi Donor Trust Fund
A decade of conflict between the militants and the Pakistani security forces in KP resulted not only in a heavy loss of innocent lives, but also substantial destruction of already weak justice and security institutions. While the province enjoys relative stability today, there is a dire need to strengthen its legal institutions and systems to re-establish confidence of the people in the justice system and with it contribute to prevent a re-emergence of militancy.
An effective, responsive, accessible and fair justice system is established, promoting both formal and informal mechanisms with particular attention to women and the most vulnerable.
Poor and vulnerable population in ten districts of KP, especially women and IDPs; Judges; Court Staff; Police; Prosecutors; KP Bar Council and Associations; Local Government.
|Effetti a medio termine||
Risultati principali attesi:
Risultati fasi precedenti:
An external evaluation underlines the substantial progress made towards the project’s goals. Under the outcome on legal aid, free legal aid clinics and desks have been established; legal awareness sessions held; pro bono legal aid services’ provision mechanisms have been put in action; and extensive interaction with lawyers including women has been made. The outcome on court capacity was considered remarkable: improving justice sector service delivery have been implemented across a wide range of initiatives including provision of capacity building for judicial officers, institutional strengthening of KP Judicial Academy, and refurbishment/infrastructure improvement services. The government supported the project and contributed 25% of the budget. The key factors of success include alignment of the outcomes and activities with the government’s annual development plans; focus on institutionalization of reforms (e.g. legal aid policy adopted by bar associations); and interventions targeted not only at the provincial level but also at the district and Tehsil level (e.g. working with district courts that receive most of the cases in addition to the Peshawar High Court). Similarly, the multi stakeholder approach (judiciary, prosecution, police, bar council) not only increased the impact but also allowed diversify/reduce implementation risks.
Cooperazione allo sviluppo
|Partner del progetto||
Organizzazione delle Nazioni Unite (ONU)
European Union, KP Government.
|Coordinamento con altri progetti e attori||
|Budget||Fase in corso Budget Svizzera CHF 4'900'000 Budget svizzero attualmente già speso CHF 4'899'878|
|Fasi del progetto||Fase 2 15.12.2015 - 31.12.2019 (Fase in corso) Fase 1 01.06.2013 - 30.09.2015 (Completed)|