Water Supply and Wastewater Lokve

Planned project

Lokve is located in the thinly populated region of Gorski Kotar, where Switzerland and Croatia intend to implement several projects to improve the water supply and wastewater treatment. The existing water supply infrastructure of the region mainly consists of small independent systems that are fed from small springs and wells and are in need of rehabilitation. The current state causes high maintenance costs, water losses and sporadic supply bottlenecks. Only few of the dispersed settlements of Gorski Kotar are connected to the public sewage system. The uncontrolled discharge of untreated sanitary wastewater risks to pollute drinking water sources and sensitive waters.

Country/region Topic Period Budget
Croatia
Protecting the environment
Wastewater treatment
01.01.2017 - 31.12.2020
CHF 1'832'467
Background

Access to public infrastructure in the water sector is lower in Croatia than in the EU. Significant spatial differences exist in water supply in terms of connection rates, averaging to around 80%. The rest, roughly 20%, use water from local springs, wells or small, local drinking water networks that are not operated by a public utility company. The public water system in Croatia is encountering extremely high losses (around 45%).

Moreover, only approximately 44% of the total population are connected to a public sewage system. While the connection rate averages to 74% in agglomerations above 150’000 inhabitants only 4% of the population in settlements below 2’000 inhabitants are connected to public sewage systems.

The benefitting municipality of Lokve is located in the region of Gorski Kotar in the north-west of Croatia. The rural, thinly populated region is suffering of emigration (shrinkage between 2001 and 2011 is -12%, compared to -3% in Croatia) and an overaged population. Gorski Kotar is home of a Serbian minority that remained - contrary to other regions - intact during the Croatian War (1991-1995).

Target groups

Municipality of Lokve

Activities
  • Construction of a wastewater treatment plant in Lokve.
  • Improvement and construction of water pipelines for remote settlements.
  • Establishment of a water supply control system linked with the central station in Delnice.
Directorate/federal office responsible SECO
Credit area Swiss Contribution to the enlarged EU
Project partners Contract partner
  • National Coordination Unit
  • The Ministry of Regional Development and EU Funds of the Republic of Croatia

Implementing partner
Croatian Waters – Hrvatske vode

Budget Current phase Swiss budget CHF   1'832'467 Swiss disbursement to date CHF   0
Project phases Phase 10 01.01.2017 - 31.12.2020   (Current phase)