Note: the texts under all the headings, with the exception of 'Results achieved', describe the situation before the start of the project.
Increase the integrity of prosecutors and prosecuting the new challenges in organized crime
The project aims to strengthen the integrity, the legal and institutional capacity of Bulgarian Prosecutors in investigating and prosecuting organised crime. The project is in line with the national priorities and strategies in fighting organized crime and is directly targeting judiciary reforms and priorities entailed from the European Commission Reports on the Progress under the Cooperation and Verification Mechanism (CVM). The project is part of the thematic fund security in Bulgaria. Further information about this fund can be found among the additional information on the very bottom of this page.
Accroître la sécurité publique
- Performing research and analysis on the PORB operation
with respect to tracing assets acquired through
- Establishing guidelines on the Organization of the work
in PORB on identification and seizure of illegally acquired
- Creation of a data base of the illegally acquired assets
Specialized training on asset forfeiture
Creation of a competence network in PORB on asset
- Establishment of a specialized unit for tracing assets
acquired through criminal activity.
- Building prosecution cooperation between the Republic
of Bulgaria and the Swiss Confederation with respect to
- Research and analysis of JIT experience and good
practices and development of guidelines on JIT application.
- Development of Bulgarian - Swiss JIT protocol and JIT agreement template.
- Improved capacity of the PORB to investigate independently by providing technical resources for the collection of evidence.
- Improved capacity of the PORB for investigating organised crimes, criminal assets anti-money laundering by setting up an Operational Duty Center, a series of trainings and an exchange visit to Switzerland.
- Elaborated guidelines and a Joint Investigation Team (JIT) working on a common case serve as pillars for the elaborated first draft JIT protocol between Bulgaria and Switzerland.
- Capacity building in the field of asset recovery through bilateral discussions among law enforcement institutions in Bulgaria and CH and through the elaboration of the first ever guidelines on asset recovery.
- Improved exchange of information between key stakeholders on human trafficking: Case studies have been drafted in order to facilitate the collaboration of the relevant institutions working with unified information and providing adequate assistance to victims that are also witnesses. In addition, the knowledge and awareness of the PORB on the matter of Trafficking in Human Being (THB) has been improved through conducting an analysis on the Bulgarian and foreign legislation on THB, the analysis of specific THB cases and the participation of PORB representatives in the THB trainings and seminars of other key institutions and partners in that field (such as the NCCTHB, IOM and Animus).
- PORB, Prosecutors Office of the Republic of Bulgaria
Prosecutors, magistrates and law enforcement officials working in the field of organized crime
|Direction/office fédéral responsable||
Contribution suisse à l'UE élargie
|Partenaire de projet||
|Budget||Phase en cours Budget de la Suisse CHF 878'437 Budget suisse déjà attribué CHF 0 Budget y compris partenaires de projet CHF 974'632|
|Phases du projet||
Phase 1 01.04.2014 - 30.09.2018 (Completed)Phase 1 01.05.2014 - 31.12.2017 (Completed)