In 2008, the Federal Council decided on a mandate for negotiations in the areas of agriculture, food safety, product safety and public health. However, negotiations were actually conducted in the areas of food safety and public health. The negotiations were coordinated by the Directorate for European Affairs of the FDFA and later by the Europe Division.
- Cooperation with the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA)
- Participation in the Rapid Alert System for Food and Feed (RASFF)
- Cooperation with the European Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (ECDC)
- Participation in the Early Warning Response System (EWRS)
- Inclusion in the new EU-wide mechanism in the event of serious cross-border health threats
- Participation in the EU Multiannual Health Programme