COVID-19: Information to Swiss citizens travelling or currently residing in Cambodia
The Embassy of Switzerland in Bangkok is responsible for Swiss citizens in Cambodia. Please address your questions or/and requests to the Swiss Embassy in Bangkok: email@example.com
The Federal Office of Public Health FOPH is recommending that unnecessary travel abroad be avoided for the time being except for a few countries (details here: Link, only in French, German and Italian)
Commercial flights out of Phnom Penh
There are no direct flights to Europe from Phnom Penh. There are a few commercial flights from Phnom Penh to Europe via Singapore, Seoul and Taipei. If you hear of a flight, please double check with the airline company since we heard that many online travel agent websites are not updated with the latest restrictions.
If we receive information about any other organized flights, we will inform people registered on the Travel Admin App (Itineris).
If you are currently unable to purchase a return ticket due to financial difficulties, the Embassy can support you with emergency assistance, which you will have to reimburse once you return to Switzerland.
Travel Admin App (Itineris): Sign up! If you are currently travelling in Cambodia as a tourist or on business (not for permanent residents), please register on the Swiss Travel Admin App (Itineris) so that the relevant Swiss Embassy can contact you if necessary. Please make sure that the dates of your trip are up to date. Once you have returned to Switzerland, please delete your trip from the application.
If despite all your efforts, you are unable to return to Switzerland, please contact the Swiss Embassy in Bangkok firstname.lastname@example.org. Although our capacity to assist you is limited, it is important for us to know where you are in order to provide you with all the necessary information.
Extensions of visa
Tourist visa (visa T): On 3 April 2020, the Cambodian government decided to grant automatic extension of tourist visa (Visa T) to foreign tourists who arrived in Cambodia after 1 January 2020, and who have not been able to return to their countries. Overstay fees will not be charged.
Visa E (all versions): must be renewed as usual otherwise overstay fees will be charged.
Entry into Cambodia
The following measures apply to ALL FOREIGNERS:
- Suspension of visa exemption; suspension of issuance of tourist visa, e-visa and visa on arrival
- Any foreigner who wants to enter Cambodia must comply with the strict requirements (exception for foreigners holding diplomatic/official visa), which are described on the website from the Ministry of Foreign affairs and International Cooperation of Cambodia.
- For business travel, please refer to the Note from the Ministry of Health of Cambodia available here.
- New: As of 18 November 2020, all persons entering Cambodia will have to undergo a mandatory 14-day quarantine. Self-isolation will not be possible anymore. Foreign nationals are required to pay a USD 2,000 deposit on arrival (as previously) and have to stay at a designated hotel for the entire 14 days (costs for hotel room, food, COVID-19 tests, and transport will be deducted from the deposit. Cambodian nationals can choose between a government-designated facility (free of charge) or a designated hotel (charges apply). For more details, see link on Twitter for an unofficial translation in English of the Note from the Cambodian Government.
Entry into Switzerland
Please visit this page: Visa – Entry to and residence in Switzerland
Situation in Cambodia and restrictions related to COVID-19
Actively inform yourself about the instructions of the Government and the local media regarding the regularly changing restriction measures:
- Government news: “Fresh News” media,
- The EuroCham Cambodia’s website provides a good summary of the Government’s measures.
Remember that we are all guests in Cambodia. Please comply strictly with the instructions of the Cambodian authorities.
If you have health problems or suspect a COVID-19 infection, contact the nearest provincial hospital or the “Khmer Soviet Friendship Hospital” in Phnom Penh.
Useful links regarding the COVID19 situation
Federal Office of Public Health (FOPH) for the current situation and measures taken in Switzerland.
FOPH’s Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about the new coronavirus
Travel Report of the FDFA, Focus Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), in French, German, and Italian.
Ministry of Health of Cambodia, Communicable Disease Control Department, for the current situation and measures taken in Cambodia (mostly in khmer).
News from the Government of Cambodia: “Fresh News” media
The EuroCham Cambodia’s website provides a good summary of the Government’s measures.
Infoline Coronavirus: +41 58 463 00 00