Divorce abroad

Foreign decisions on divorce or legal separation are normally recognised in Switzerland when handed down in the country of domicile or of habitual residence, or the state of nationality of one of the spouses, or if recognised in one of these countries (Federal Act on Private International Law (SR 291)).

Federal Act on Private International Law (SR 291) (de, fr, it)

To register a divorce pronounced abroad in the Swiss civil status register (Infostar) the documents listed below are to be submitted to the Swiss representation competent for the country in which the divorce was pronounced.

Divorce registration

The following documents need to be submitted to register the divorce in the civil status registry in Switzerland:

- Original Divorce certificate issued by RITA less than 6 months before, stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Dar es Salaam

- Copy of the Judgement

- Copy of the Decree

- Copy of the passport of the foreign spouse

Note: Parties involved need to make copies of the Judgment and the Decree before submitting to RITA for their records and for the purpose of presenting it when other competent authorities require it.

Divorce in Switzerland

In the case of a divorce pronounced in Switzerland, persons registered with a Swiss representation abroad are under an obligation to report the change of civil status. This requires submitting the following documents (as hard copy or in electronic form) so that the register of the Swiss abroad can be updated:

  • photocopy of the divorce decree with the date on which it takes effect
  • photocopy of the decision concerning the parental authority of any children of the couple with the date when it takes effect
  • Where applicable changes of address of the divorced couple

There is no fee for the registration in question.