The General Secretariat as a staff unit supports the Head of the Department in his daily work.
- it coordinates business for parliament and for the Federal Council
- it informs the general public about the activities of the Department
- it ensures equality of opportunity in the FDFA
- it checks the effectiveness of internal controlling and control systems for all the areas covered by the Department
- it deals with all historical questions that concern the Department.
Presence Switzerland is subordinate to the General Secretariat.