The Swiss telecommunications market is dominated by the incumbent telecoms operator, Swisscom.
Telecommunications – Facts and Figures
- In 2015 Swisscom had a 58.9% share of the mobile telephony market, followed by Sunrise (18.8%) and Orange (18%).
- In 2015 there were twice as many mobile network subscribers in Switzerland as there were landline subscribers.
- Switzerland has one of the highest internet penetration rates in Europe. Over three-quarters of all households have an internet connection.
- The number of regular internet users (more than once a week) rose from 0.7 million in 1998 to 6.9 million in 2015.
- 99% of all internet users in Switzerland have an ADSL connection.
- 84% of regular consumers use the internet at home, 51% at work and 43% while commuting.
- Switzerland has around 300 national and local cable TV networks, which have a household penetration rate of 74%.