End of 2005, the Chinese authorities have confirmed the first two cases of H5N1. Since then, outbreaks until early 2009 have been reported in several provinces and regions in China. In 2009 and 2010, H5N1 did not spread much further. However, the precautionary measures (see also downloads) are still valuable.
The following concrete precautionary measures can be mentioned:
- markets at which live or dead poultry or birds are sold should be avoided
- visits to poultry enterprises should be stopped
- hands should be washed (with antibacterial soap) regularly, especially after coming into contact with raw poultry
- ensure that poultry and eggs are completely cooked-through before consumption
- for people travelling to regions where outbreaks of the avian flu have been reported, the Federal Office of Public Health together with the Federal Veterinary Office have prepared an information sheet (Information on bird flu), downloadable on the right.