Communication & Media Specialist (part-time) for the Swiss Cooperation Office in Moldova
Percentage of occupation: 50%
Duration of contract: initial contract until end-2018, extension depending on performance
Position available from: 1 April 2018
Application deadline: 19 March
The Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) is part of the Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs (FDFA) and is responsible for coordinating Switzerland’s development cooperation and humanitarian aid programs all over the world, including Moldova.
SDC has been active in Moldova since the year 2000. Until 2008, SDC mainly provided humanitarian assistance for the most disadvantaged population groups. From 2008 onwards, SDC’s focus shifted to more development-oriented interventions. SDC partnered with Moldovan stakeholders at all levels to implement long-term and comprehensive projects in the areas of health, water & sanitation, and migration & development. Under the new 2018-2021 Swiss Cooperation Strategy for Moldova, Switzerland’s development assistance to Moldova is focused on heath, local governance, and economic development & employment. In addition, SDC provides grants for small action projects that address development issues in the main fields of the SDC activity, and for culture projects that promote innovation, inclusiveness, diversity, and intercultural dialogue.
The technical and financial assistance provided by Switzerland to Moldova is managed by the Swiss Cooperation Office (SCO), which is the country office of SDC and the representation of the Kiev-based Embassy of Switzerland to Ukraine and Moldova.
The SCO uses different tools (print, broadcast and digital media, publications, campaigns, public events, etc.) to communicate with various target groups at different levels and with different goals:
- External communication aims at ensuring Switzerland’s visibility and transparency of SDC tasks, activities and results; as well as at promoting necessary changes in attitudes and behavior. External communication activities include public relations, provision of information to the general public, specialized communication concerning the sectors in which SDC is active, policy dialogue, and awareness-raising.
- Internal communication aims at ensuring that all staff members feel that they are part of a team, understand how tasks are carried out in the SDC, are informed about development policy discussions underway, and have necessary opportunities to learn and exchange knowledge and experiences.
In order to further improve and strengthen its communication efforts, the SCO Moldova is seeking a qualified and experienced person for the part-time (50%) position of Communication & Media Specialist.
2. PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
Under the guidance and supervision of the Deputy Director of Cooperation, the Communication and Media Specialist will manage all aspects of the Swiss Cooperation Office’s communication activities, in line with the periodic (4-year) Swiss Cooperation Strategies for Moldova and in compliance with SDC guidelines and rules. The objectives, activities and results of SDC interventions in Moldova will be communicated to relevant stakeholders and to the large public via print, broadcast and digital media, and via high-profile events.
The following list is indicative and may be revised and / or amended by the Director of Cooperation.
- Develop and regularly update the communication concept of the Swiss Cooperation Office in Moldova. Coordinate and take the lead on its implementation (incl. identification of appropriate suppliers for the provision of goods and services in accordance with the communication concept; writing TORs for experts, consultants, photographers, etc. hired for SCO’s communication activities).
- Assist project partners in aligning and harmonizing communication messages with the communication concept of the SCO; maintain and further develop the working relations with communication & media specialists of SDC-financed projects in Moldova; provide feedback on project partners’ communication efforts.
- Ensure the promotion of Switzerland and SDC visibility in Moldova through SCO external communication, as well as through the communication efforts of SDC-supported projects. Monitor how project partners ensure Switzerland and SDC visibility on their websites, in their publications and during public events.
- Develop relevant communication content and ensure that up-to-date information about SCO Moldova is available in hard copies (project factsheets, etc.) and online on the SCO Moldova website and in social media.
- Maintain, update and organize the portfolio of professional photographs illustrating SDC-supported interventions in Moldova.
- Identify and cultivate key contacts in print and broadcast media.
- Develop a professional media package to provide background information about SDC and SDC-supported interventions in Moldova, and establish processes for: (i) regular communication with media contacts; (ii) regular production of press releases; (iii) advising and assisting SDC-projects with regard to their communication with media; (iv) continuous monitoring of the impact of the communication with media through both a media log and a log of enquiries arising from media exposure.
- Assist SCO team in preparing speeches, public presentations and other external communication activities; coordinate press conferences, interviews, informal meetings with journalists; organize field visits for journalists to SDC-supported interventions.
- Ensure meaningful mainstreaming of gender equality and social inclusion (GE&SI) in all communication and media activities of the SCO and of the SDC supported projects in Moldova. Work closely with the GE&SI focal point in identifying ways to improve mainstreaming of GE&SI.
4. REQUIRED SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCES
- Master degree in communication/media, journalism or other relevant fields;
- Minimum 5 years of progressively responsible experience in communication and working with the media (incl. development and implementation of communication & media strategies, building relations with mass media, playing a leading role in organizing important public events and in designing and conducting complex media and awareness raising campaigns successfully targeting national press, television and radio).
- Strong skills in producing content for the web and publications.
- Profound knowledge of media, news agencies and PR agencies active in Moldova.
- Excellent communication, inter-personal and networking skills; including the ability to effectively communicate with persons from a variety of backgrounds.
- Strong writing, analytical thinking, and presentational skills.
- Strong organizational skills (incl. planning and organizing activities and events, managing time and resources, meeting deadlines).
- Basic skills in design and photography.
- bility to work both in a (multi-disciplinary) team and independently.
- Experience in working in a multi-cultural environment; cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Excellent oral and written command of English, Romanian and Russian. Knowledge of German / French / minority languages relevant for Moldova (Ukrainian, Gagauzian, Romani, Bulgarian, sign language) is considered an asset.
- Advanced knowledge of office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.), spreadsheet and database packages, design/media software, social media, and experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Experience in similar positions in international organizations / development agencies is a strong advantage.
The incumbent is expected to be proactive, well-organized and self-motivated, to fulfil the assigned tasks in an independent manner, and to accept responsibility and accountability for the quality of the outcome of his/her decisions.
5. RECRUITMENT PROCESS
This is a local position, therefore only citizens of the Republic of Moldova or others legally authorized to work in the country are eligible to apply.
SDC is committed to achieving workforce diversity with regard to gender, ethnolinguistic background, age, etc. Individuals from different minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
SDC strives to provide a fair and inclusive workplace, attractive salary and benefits package.
Interested candidates should submit their applications in English (i.e. Cover Letter, CV, relevant recommendation letters and references) with the mark “Communication & Media Specialist” by 19 March 2018 to the following address: Swiss Cooperation Office, 23-B, A. Mateevici str., Chisinau, or by e-mail to Ms. Viorica Cretu, Deputy Director of Cooperation, SCO Moldova, at email@example.com
Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.