As an intern you will work closely with members of the Mission in a variety of fields. You will be fully integrated into the Swiss delegation and receive an opportunity to experience firsthand the workings of the United Nations, diplomatic representations of partner countries, and civil society organizations. Your specific job description will be based on the Mission’s mandate and its needs. Whenever possible, your personal interests will be taken into account. Remuneration for the position is US$2000/month gross. All positions are full time and last for four months with the possibility to extend by one or two months.
Interns may work in any one of the following areas:
- Sustainable Development and Humanitarian affairs
- Peace and Security
- Human Rights
- Legal Affairs
Dates of internships
- February/March to July
Application period: 1 to 15 September
- July/August to December
Application period: 1 to 15 February
- Swiss citizenship or, in case of foreign citizenship, principal place of residence in Switzerland
- University level degree (Bachelor’s or Master’s) acquired no more than 12 months prior to the beginning of the internship or ongoing enrolment in a post-graduate program, preferably in a field related to the work of the Mission. E.g., if a student graduated in September, the internship cannot begin later than in August the following year. Up to 12 months of additional time can be allowed for non-work related stays abroad, military/civil service and maternity leave
- Excellent written and spoken command of two national languages of Switzerland
- Excellent written and spoken command as well as communicative skills in English
Previous professional experience related to the work of the Mission is not required. Internships within the Federal Administration (and/or other) must not extend the duration of 12 months, including the internship at the Swiss Mission to the UN in New York. Candidates should not have gained prior work experience in either major or minor subject.
Applications must include:
- Letter of motivation
- Curriculum vitae
- Copy of university diploma and or report
- Copy of final grades and intermediate reports
- Letter(s) of recommendation
We particularly welcome applications from female candidates and candidates from the francophone and italophone parts of Switzerland.
Pre-selected applicants will be contacted no later than 4 weeks after the application deadline. They will have to complete a short written aptitude test for the final selection approx. 6 weeks after the application deadline. Selected applicants will receive confirmation approx. 8 to 9 weeks after the application deadline.
We will not engage in any correspondence during the selection process.
Applications for internships should be sent to: Gabriela.email@example.com