Visa – Entry to and residence in Switzerland

Due to the epidemiological developments, as of October 11th 2021 Bosnia and Herzegovina will belong to the risk countries.

For non-vaccinated third-countries nationals, the entry in Switzerland will only be possible in case of emergency. In addition the issuing of a Laissez-Passer will be necessary.

Any justified requests need to be sent to the following e-mail address:

A list of emergency situations can be found online in the Covid-19 directive from the State Secretariat from Migration SEM (D / F) under point 1.5.

Persons from a risk country may enter Switzerland if vaccinated with a recognized vaccine: Federal Office of Public Healt (FOPH).

More information can be found on the web-site of the state Secretariat for Migration.

Various regulations apply for entering Switzerland. A basic distinction is made between citizens of the European Union (EU) and European Free Trade Association (EFTA) countries and those of other countries. The State Secretariat for Migration (SEM) is the responsible authority in Switzerland.


Since Switzerland’s adherence to the Schengen and Dublin agreements came into force (12 December 2008), Swiss representations abroad are able to issue certain categories of visa, depending on the length of stay and purpose of the journey in Switzerland. Please select one of the following options.

Schengen visa for a stay of up to 90 days

For persons wishing to enter Switzerland for a short stay of up to 90 days within a 180-day period: for example, in a context of tourism, a visit to relatives or friends, short-term language studies, participating in a conference or in sporting/cultural events, etc.

National visa for a stay of more than 90 days

For persons wishing to enter Switzerland for a stay of more than 90 days within a 180-day period. It is subject to the authorisation of the cantonal migration authority competent for the intended place of residence. For example: long-term student, family reunification, marriage in Switzerland, etc.

Airport transit visa

For citizens of certain countries who need a transit visa even if they are staying in the international transit area of the airport and do not enter the Schengen territory.

Labour / Work permits

Admission of foreign workers to an employer in Switzerland is subject to the authorisation of the competent cantonal authority. The entry visa is granted only when the requested authorisations have been delivered.