Sludge Management in Egypt
By piloting new sludge treatment, disposal and reuse practices the project tackles a crucial yet neglected aspect of the Wastewater Treatment Plants (WWTP) and supports a more comprehensive water resources management.
Egypt’s water resources are vulnerable. The country has few internal renewable freshwater resources beyond the Nile River. Over 95 percent of the country's water resources originate beyond its borders, with about 90 percent generated by the Nile. As climate change becomes increasingly severe, Egypt could experience a water crisis. Specifically, the country may see a loss to water quality caused by salt water inundation and a decline to water quantity caused by hotter temperatures. In a circular economy approach the quality of its water resources and the recovery of useful nutrients are all the more a key aspect of its economic development.
The project aims at improving the wastewater management by focusing on sewage sludge treatment and disposal, which is a vital element of a sustainable functioning of the Wastewater Treatment Plants (WWTP) and a key factor to ignite a more comprehensive water resources management. The project tests a feasible solution for the yet unsolved sludge management with sewage composting and will act as an example of best practices for replication in the country.
|Effetti a medio termine||
- Safe collection, treatment and disposal of sewage sludge following newly defined and tested standards and norms
- Improved efficiency of operation and wastewater management in general and especially sludge management at Beni Suef WWTP
- Relevant authorities are informed and in the position to replicate the best practice for sludge management at national level
Risultati principali attesi:
- Construction of a composting system
- Installation of solar panels on drying beds
- The staff of the water utility in Beni Suef is capacitated the new systems
- The experience of the pilot project is documented, capitalized and mainstreamed at national level
Risultati fasi precedenti:
|Budget||Fase in corso Budget Svizzera CHF 7’787’000 Budget svizzero attualmente già speso CHF 0 Budget inclusi partner del progetto CHF 7’787’000|
|Fasi del progetto||Fase 1 01.01.2023 - 31.12.2027 (Fase in corso)|