Marriage in Japan

You would like to get married in Japan. In this case, the Japanese authorities are responsible for providing you with information about the required documents. If a Swiss certificate of capacity to marry is required from you, then you will find out below which documents are required for this. The Swiss municipality of the place of origin (in case of residence abroad) or the Swiss municipality of residence (in case of residence in Switzerland) issues this document based on the forms "Application for a Certificate of Capacity to Marry" and "Declaration concerning the Requirements for Marriage", which the engaged couple has to fill in personally at the embassy. If the fiancé resides in Switzerland, he/she can submit the application directly to the Swiss municipality of residence. The following documents must be submitted to the representation:

Japanese National

  • Valid passport
  • Certificate of residence (Juminhyou)
  • Japanese family register extract (Koseki Touhon [Zenbu Jikou Shoumei]) 
  • Marriage certificate (Youken Gubi Shoumeisho)

If divorced, additionally:

  • Divorce decree (Rikon Todoke no Juri Shoumeisho) or family register extract showing the final divorce date. 

If widowed, additionally:

  • Death certificate of the former spouse (Shibou Todoke no Juri Shoumeisho) or family register extract in which the death of the spouse is recorded.

Swiss National

  • Valid passport
  • Residence certificate (Juminhyou)

If the residence certificate is missing, the representative office can issue a nationality and matriculation certificate instead of this document, which is subject to a fee (CHF 40.00 in JPY).

  • Civil Status Certificate

If this document is missing, the civil status certificate can be ordered online from your home municipality for a fee.

Important: All Japanese documents must be apostilled (The Hague Convention of October 5, 1961). The apostille is issued free of charge by the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Certification at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (in Japan) (Authentication (of official seals) / Apostille)

All documents need to be issued within the last 6 months and must be scanned and submitted in advance by e-mail to for verification. Subsequently, an appointment will be made for the counter visit.

The Japanese documents will be summarily translated by the Embassy and sent to the relevant civil registry office in Switzerland for further processing.

Japanese citizens do not require a visa to enter Switzerland. However, an assurance of residence permit is required for entry. Your municipality of residence must initiate the necessary procedure for the entry of your fiancé(e) with the competent cantonal migration authority. For further information, please contact your municipality of residence directly.


An advance payment of JPY 70'000 - 80'000 is required. You will receive a detailed invoice with the marriage certificate.

Time required

Approximately 2 - 3 months until the certificate of capacity to marry is issued.

After marriage

After the marriage, please send or bring an original marriage certificate (Konin Todoke Jurishoumeisho), in case of family name change additionally an original name change certificate (Uji Henko Todoke Jurishoumeisho) from the embassy, so that the marriage can be registered in Switzerland. If there is no name change, please indicate this as well. All Japanese documents must be apostilled by MOFA.