Embassy of Switzerland in Japan, Communication and Public Affairs Officer
The Embassy of Switzerland in Japan is seeking for a Communication and Public Affairs Officer starting on January 3rd, 2018 (or upon agreement).
Core missions of the Embassy include promoting knowledge about Switzerland’s multicultural identity in Japan, facilitating Swiss-Japanese relations, and showcasing the country’s achievements in various fields, including the creative industries.
The Communication and Public Affairs Officer is active on that front. As a member of the Culture and Public Affairs team, she/he contributes to the online presence of the Embassy, produces and edits relevant media content, collaborates to the organization of social and cultural events and facilitates relations with the Japanese press.
This position calls for an organized and dynamic individual with a passion for communication, culture and public affairs. Tasks include: proactive curation of the social media platforms and website of the Embassy of Switzerland; independently draft and edit content in English and Japanese for public affairs purposes; logistical support for cultural events.
The successful candidate will have experience in project management, strong editorial competences, excellent communication skills in Japanese and English, a good command of social media platforms and some knowledge of one Swiss official language (French, German or Italian). Multi-tasking, a proactive attitude, a high spirit of initiative as well as strong sense of responsibility are required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Report to the Head of Culture and Public Affairs and support the Embassy carrying out its objectives in the area of public relations and cultural affairs.
- Independently draft press releases, social media posts, contents for the Embassy newsletter and other relevant material for communication purposes.
- Curation of the social media accounts.
- Research, follow-up and fact-checking on Swiss-related news for the Embassy digital platforms.
- Assistance in the organization of cultural events and projects (exhibitions, concerts, film screenings, lectures etc.)
- Active involvement in implementing the communication strategy of the Embassy towards the Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic and Paralympic Games.
- During the Games, support for the activities surrounding the national pavilion “House of Switzerland”.
- Develop a useful network of contacts in the fields of media, culture and public affairs, especially representatives of the press.
- Administrative support of the Head of Culture and Public Affairs in managing invitations, contacts and appointments, especially in relation to the media.
- Employment experience in a related field (public affairs, project management, cultural affairs).
- Fluency in written /spoken and editorial skills in Japanese and in English.
- Passion for public affairs, social media and culture.
- Able to multitask and pay attention to details.
- Very good organizational skills and ability to work independently.
- Work permit in Japan.
- Basic knowledge of one official Swiss language (German, French, Italian).
- Interesting work in a foreign representation.
- Competitive salary and benefits package.
- Full time or part time (TBD).
- 100% matching social security plan.
- 4 weeks paid vacation
- A mix of Japanese and Swiss Holidays
Please send your resume and a letter of motivation no later than December 1st, 2017 in electronic format (word or pdf) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write into the subject line “Culture and Public Affairs Officer” to ensure timely processing of your application. Any incomplete application will be disregarded.
Once you sent your application, please do not contact the Embassy of Switzerland in Japan. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.