The first Consulate of Switzerland was established in Auckland in 1912. It was moved to Wellington in 1937 and from then on had a career consular officer at its head. In 1955, it was upgraded to a Consulate General with a diplomat heading the post. Switzerland and New Zealand established diplomatic relations in 1962. A Swiss Embassy was opened in Wellington in 1963, with a diplomatic Chargé d’affaires. The Ambassador in Canberra was then also accredited to New Zealand. The Consulate in Auckland was reestablished in 1966 with an Honorary Consul in charge. The first Swiss resident Ambassador came to New Zealand in 1969.
Today, the Ambassador of Switzerland serves also as envoy to Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Tuvalu and the Cook Islands as well as Consul General to American Samoa. There are Consulates General in Fiji and Samoa with an Honorary Consul General in charge.