Registration in the register of the Swiss Abroad

Are you obliged to register?

Yes, if you are a Swiss citizen, have taken up residence abroad, and are not registered with a Swiss municipality neither with another Swiss representation.

You have to register within 90 days after the announcement of departure to a foreign country and show a certificate of departure issued by the municipality of the last place of residence in Switzerland.

Registration will facilitate future administrative dealings with the Swiss representation responsible for your place of residence abroad, such as applications for Swiss passports and identity documents, transcription of a civil status event, registration for voting, etc.

How to apply?

Leaving Switzerland to take up residence abroad

You are living in Switzerland and about to take up residence abroad. When registering with the Swiss representation responsible for your new place of domicile you will need to submit the following documents, in original or good quality copies:

  • Complete the registration form via the online desk or fill in the "Application for registration at a Swiss representation" and submit it duly completed, dated and signed;
  • the valid Swiss passport or identity card of all members of your family;
  • for the family member with foreign nationality: an official document of identity (passport or identity card);
  • the certificate of departure issued by the municipality of the last place of residence in Switzerland;
  • if available, the certificate of origin;
  • if available, the family certificate or individual civil status certificate.

If you are a Swiss citizen and do not possess any valid Swiss identity document, please submit the following documents:

  • a valid official foreign ID document (passport or identity document);
  • for single persons: an individual certificate of civil status (can be obtained from the civil status office of your municipality of origin in Switzerland);
  • for families: a family certificate (can be obtained from the civil status office of your municipality of origin in Switzerland).

If you are unable to print the “Application for registration at a Swiss representation" form, inform the Swiss representation responsible for your place of residence, which will then gladly forward you the necessary documentation.

The documents necessary for your registration can be forwarded by e-mail or regular mail to the Swiss representation responsible for your place of residence.

The Swiss representation concerned will be glad to receive you in person during normal visiting hours for the purpose of registration.

What should you report?

You should report any event that affects your personal situation, notably:

  • on taking up residence in the consular district, for registration
  • any changes of address, telephone number or email address
  • an event affecting your civil status (birth, marriage, divorce, death)
  • acquisition or loss of citizenship
  • final departure from the consular district

Informing foreign authorities of your place of residence

Registration with a Swiss representation does not exempt you from the obligation to inform the foreign authorities of your arrival. It is your responsibility to enter into direct contact with the foreign authorities competent for your place of residence so that you may take the necessary steps to obtain a residence permit. In some countries, you might need formal authorisation prior to entering their territory. The Swiss representation cannot assist you in this matter.


The Consular Section at the Embassy of Switzerland in Riyadh and the Swiss Consulate General in Muscat will be pleased to assist you. Swiss citizens or visa applicants living in the Republic of Yemen should forward the correspondence related to a consular and administrative issue directly to the Swiss Embassy in Riyadh.

A regular contact between the Swiss abroad and the Swiss Embassies and Consulates presents mutual advantages. Also, registration is compulsory for Swiss citizens residing abroad and is the basis for official acts. The following individuals should register with their local Swiss mission abroad:

  • Swiss citizens who intend to stay in the consular district for more than 12 months
  • Individuals living in the consular district who acquire Swiss nationality by birth, naturalisation or adoption.

The following documents are required for registration:

  • form «Application for registration», duly completed, dated and signed by the applicant (can be downloaded by using the link on the right hand side of this page)
  • Swiss passport and, if applicable, those of your family members
  • Original of the certificate of origin (Heimatschein / Certificat d’origine).

It is also highly recommended to download the “Advice for Swiss citizens living abroad" and the "Information regarding behaviour in crisis situations" containing useful details.

Your personal documents will be returned to you immediately after registration. For additional details about the Voluntary Old-age, Survivors and Disability Insurance scheme (AHV / IV – AVS / AI), the Soliswiss or if you wish to obtain further information for Swiss citizens living abroad, please do consult the corresponding pages of links included in this Website.

Changes in marital status, name changes, and the birth of children must be notified to the Swiss authorities through the Swiss representation. Failure to provide accurate documentation will cause delays in the issuing of new Swiss documents.

For safety reason Swiss citizens planning a short trip to Saudi Arabia and the Republic of Yemen (business, tourism) are requested to communicate in advance their travel program (including last & first name, passport number and address in CH) to the competent Swiss representation abroad.

We wish you a pleasant stay in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.