This page contains the information you may need if you are considering applying for Swiss citizenship, whether for yourself, your child or your partner.

However, if you are unable to find the information you were looking for on this page, the Swiss representation covering your place of residence will be pleased to answer any questions you may have.

Information for Swiss abroad in Hong Kong:

You may apply for Swiss citizenship if you have been married to a Swiss citizen for at least 6 years AND if you have close ties to Switzerland (aside from having a Swiss spouse).

Having close ties may mean some of the following criteria:

  • Regular visits to Switzerland (vacation, business trips, visiting friends or family)
  • Contacts to people, who live in Switzerland (who may confirm your visits)
  • Membership in Swiss Organisation abroad (e.g. Swiss Association of Hong Kong)
  • Contacts to Swiss citizens, who live abroad (and who provide reference letters)
  • Employment with Swiss Company or Swiss Organization in Switzerland or abroad
  • Ability to communicate in a Swiss language
  • Interest for current events in Switzerland
  • Basic knowledge of Swiss Geography as well as Swiss political system

Upon request this Consulate General will provide you with all relevant forms that you need when applying for Swiss citizenship. Additionally you should prepare the documents listed on the downloadable check list “Swiss citizenship for foreign spouses – required documents” (see column on the right).

You will be invited for an interview at this Consulate General once your application and your supporting documents have been received. The purpose of the interview is to determine whether you have close ties to Switzerland, whether you speak a Swiss language (German, French or Italian) and how familiar you are with Swiss culture, geography, politics and current events. You may update your knowledge about Switzerland by visiting the web sites mentioned below.

The fee for an application for Swiss citizenship is the equivalent of CHF 700 and must be paid in HKD in cash at the time of your interview.

After the interview your application will be sent to the Swiss Federal Office for Migration in Switzerland. Processing time will be anywhere between 12 – 24 months. You will be notified as soon as a decision is at hand. It is therefore vital that you report all changes of address in the meantime.

Once your application has been approved you may apply for a Swiss passport with this Consulate General.

Required documents for foreign spouses