All third-country nationals, regardless of their visa obligation status, who wish to enter the Schengen Area through Switzerland must be in possession of a travel document that meets the following two requirements:
- The validity of the travel document must extend at least three months after the intended date of departure from the Schengen Area; and
- the travel document must have been issued within the previous 10 years.
The date of issue of the travel document shall be the determining factor, notwithstanding any decision by the authorities to extend the period of validity of the travel document.
Please find travel documents entitling the holder to cross the external borders in Annex 2 of the Visa Guidelines:
To ensure that the most recent documents are available at all times, reference is made to the website of the European Commission. The documents can be found on the right under "Info": (Travel documents issued by third countries and territorial entities (Part I); Travel documents issued by Member States (Part II); Travel documents issued by international organisations and other entities subject to international law (Part III); List of known fantasy and camouflage passports).
Third state members in possession of both a valid residence permit issued by a Schengen member state or a valid type D visa and a recognized travel document are exempt from visa requirements.
Obligation to hold a visa with regard to exercising gainful occupation:
- in the primary or secondary construction industry and civil engineering, catering and hotel services, industrial and private cleaners, surveillance and security services, and erotic services;
- gainful occupation of any another kind, if such occupation exceeds 8 days within a calendar year.
Exemption to hold a visa with regard to exercising gainful occupation:
- Holders of a longterm residence permit issued by a Schengen member state or a valid type D visa, provided they also hold a recognized travel document.
Visa exemption is a temporary provision, subject to the Federal Council’s approval of the amendment to the Ordinance on Entry and Visa Procedure.