Visa for New Zealand passport holders

New Zealand citizens do NOT require a visa to enter the Schengen area.

Moreover a bilateral visa waiver agreement signed between Switzerland and New Zealand allows holders of New Zealand passports to stay in Switzerland up to 90 days irrespectively from other periods spent in other Schengen countries. In this case, New Zealand nationals are advised to carry evidence of the period spent in Switzerland (e.g. passport stamps, accommodation receipts, ATM slips).

New Zealand signed bilateral visa waiver agreement with other Schengen countries. In order to find out more, it is suggested to contact directly the Embassies of the countries you are interested in travelling to. 

New Zealand citizens benefit from this short-stay visa waiver, as long as they:

(a) do not intend to work;

(b) hold a passport valid for at least 3 months after date of departure;

(c) have a return ticket.

Border officials in EU countries may ask for other supporting documents such as for example an invitation letter, proof of lodging, return or round-trip ticket.

New Zealand nationals are advised to ensure that their passport is stamped on entry and exit at the external borders of the Schengen Area. It is important to have evidence of the date of entry into the Schengen Area for any potential subsequent contact with local police or other authorities. It is also advisable to retain some informal evidence of time spent in particular Schengen countries (e.g. accommodation receipts, ATM slips). 

Hefty fines might apply in case of overstay, as well as prohibition to enter Switzerland and the Schengen area for up to three years.

The following webpage of the European Commission provides an explanation on the calculation of the duration of stays in order to comply with this rule: European Commission – Migration and Home Affairs – Border crossing

New Zealand citizens who wish to study, work or simply stay more than 90 days in Switzerland require a residence permit and need to contact, directly or through the future employer or school in Switzerland, the cantonal migration authority of the canton (states) where they wish to study, work or stay.

In case of employment with an international organisation in Geneva, Switzerland, with a headquarters agreement, the international organisation in Geneva will request the issuing of a Federal Department of Foreign Affairs FDFA legitimation card through the Permanent Mission of Switzerland to the United Nations Office and to the other international organisations in Geneva, Section of Privileges and Immunities, upon arrival in Switzerland.

Persons travelling on a New Zealand passport can therefore travel to Switzerland without a visa or without assurance of residence permit in order to take up an employment with an International Organisation in Geneva.


For more information: safetravel NZ