Old age and invalidity insurance

Automation of the life certificate process for AHV/IV pensioners

From 01.01.2022 on, Swiss nationals resident abroad will in general not receive an application for a life certificate anymore. The condition for this is that they are registered with a Swiss representation in their country of residence. The information is sent directly to the Swiss Compensation Office by the Register of the Swiss Abroad.

Swiss nationals who are not registered with a Swiss representation will continue to receive applications for life certificates.

In exceptional cases, registered persons may nevertheless receive such an application. In this case, the persons concerned must complete this document and have it confirmed in order to prevent their pension from being suspended.

Voluntary Swiss OASI/IV scheme

If you no longer live in Switzerland, are no longer subject to the compulsory Swiss Old-Age and Survivors Insurance scheme (OASI) and the Swiss Invalidity Insurance scheme (IV), and you live in a country that is not a member of the European Union (EU) or the European Free Trade Association (EFTA), you can maintain your insurance cover in Switzerland by paying into the voluntary OASI/IV scheme, provided that you meet the membership requirements (OASIA, SR 831.10/InvIA, SR831.20/VOASIO, SR 831.111).

Federal Act on Old-Age and Survivors Insurance (OASIA, SR 831.10) (de, fr, it)

Federal Act on Invalidity Insurance (InvIA, SR 831.20) (de, fr, it)

Federal Ordinance on Voluntary Old-Age, Survivors and Invalidity Insurance (VOASIO, SR. 831.11) (de, fr, it)

The Swiss representation that covers the country where you live will be pleased to provide you with more information on the voluntary OASI/IV scheme.

Generally speaking, joining the voluntary Swiss insurance scheme does not release you from any compulsory social security obligations you have in another country. The competent social security office in your country of residence can provide you with more information on your rights and obligations.