On 18 March 2020, the Swiss Federal Council decided, that entry at the Schengen external borders is generally prohibited with few exceptions. Switzerland follows the practice of the other Schengen states. Until 15th June 2020, Switzerland will also no longer issue Schengen visas. National visas will also only be issued in exceptional cases, for example to family members of Swiss citizens with a right of presence in Switzerland who require a visa and to specialists from the health sector.
For additional information, please consult the webpage of the State Secretariat for Migration SEM
Guidelines for holders of previously issued visas who cannot use them due to the current situation with the corona virus
Persons who already have a visa issued by Switzerland, but who cannot use it due to travel restrictions because of Corona, can receive a free substitute visa under the following conditions:
- Submission of a new visa application dully completed and signed;
- The documents must clearly show that the trip is a substitute journey, i.e. has the same purpose and duration;
- One photo;
- A (new) valid travel health insurance policy is available;
- Travel document with the previously issued visa;
- Proof of new travel arrangements;
- There must be no entry restrictions;
This facilitation is only valid between 15 March and 30 September 2020.