SUPIC – Support to the Parliament in Cambodia
The Parliamentary Institute of Cambodia (PIC) supports parliaments in Cambodia and in the wider region to build capacities towards effective democratic institutions and promoting accountability. The Swiss contribution to the PIC will support democratic development processes as a key element for sustainable poverty reduction, and peace and stability in the country and in the region.
Partecipazione democratica e società civile
Politica del settore pubblico
- Parliamentarians increasingly provide inputs its draft legislation
- Parliamentarians have improved their representation function
- Parliamentarians increasingly fulfil their oversight role
- Parliaments of ASEAN countries use PIC services and engage in peer learning and exchanges
- Parliamentarians have increased knowledge of the legislative agenda and capacity to analyze, amend, and draft legislation
- Parliamentarians hold public consultation and increased capacity to implement best outreach practices
- Parliamentarians request expert hearings to get a deeper insight of relevant issues and proactive to organise oversight activities at the sub-national level
- The PIC increases its regional training offers and deepens its collaborations with international networks
- 127 research products were produced and provided to the Parliamentarians upon demand from ruling and opposition party.
- Parliamentarians were enabled increasingly – based on sound research - to effectively hold local governors and line ministers accountable.
- Public Consultation Guidelines were adopted by the Senate Secretariat as standard procedural guidelines for the Senate.
Support to democracy, local governance and citizens’ participation, as a key contribution to poverty reduction and stability in Cambodia, must be understood in the context of decades of civil war and genocide. The Parliament of Cambodia is still a relatively new institution, lacking independency and capacity to fulfil its role in terms of ensuring democratic dialogue and oversight, and government’s accountability to the people. With upcoming elections, the political tensions are raising and democratic space threatened.
Contribute to the improved performance of the Cambodian Parliament and enhanced trust by Cambodian citizens in the work of parliamentarians as well as to the strengthened capacity and level of exchange among ASEAN Parliaments.
Cambodian Members of Parliament, Commissions, and the staff of the Secretariats of both houses, and through them the people of Cambodia. The Parliamentary staff in the region.
|Effetti a medio termine||
Risultati principali attesi:
Risultati fasi precedenti:
Demand driven research products linked to support for outreach and consultation activities are an effective way to increase Parliamentary capacity.
Cooperazione allo sviluppo
|Partner del progetto||
ONG internazionale o straniera
SIDA (country and regional offices)
|Coordinamento con altri progetti e attori||
Sub-National Democratic Development Programme (SNDD), Public Finance Management Reform (PFM), Public Administration Reform (PAR). SIDA supports to Parliamentary Budget Office (PBO) under this project and SDC also supports a technical cooperation project from Swiss Parliamentary Services (SPS).
|Budget||Fase in corso Budget Svizzera CHF 3'700'000 Budget svizzero attualmente già speso CHF 3'147'103|
|Fasi del progetto||Fase 2 01.05.2017 - 31.12.2020 (Fase in corso) Fase 1 01.02.2014 - 28.02.2017 (Completed)|