Am I allowed to work part-time?
No, it is not possible to hold a part-time job. Under the Youth Mobility Program you have to be employed on a full-time basis. In exceptional cases a work quota of 80% is accepted, subject to the condition that the other 20% are being used for a language course.
Can my YMP visa be extended after my initial stay of 18 months?
No, you will not be able to extend the YMP-visa. The Youth Mobility Program is limited to 18 months.
Is my spouse/partner allowed to accompany me, if I obtain a visa under the YMP?
Your spouse or partner may accompany you under certain circumstances; please contact the competent Consulate for further information.
I’ve already been working in Switzerland under the YMP. Am I allowed to apply a second time under the same conditions?
Yes, you may do that as long as the following conditions are met: 1. it will be the second time under the YMP, more than two YMP applications will not be approved. 2. Total time of the two YMP do not exceed 18 months.
I am a Canadian citizen, but live outside of Canada. May I still apply for a Swiss work permit under the Youth Mobility Program?
If you are temporarily residing outside of Canada, yes. However, you will be asked to indicate a Canadian address in order to prove that your permanent address is in Canada.
I already work in Switzerland with a Youth Mobility work permit, but would like to change the employer. Is this possible?
Employers may only be changed in justified cases, which are subject to permission. An employed occupation may be extended to a maximum duration of 18 months.
A written application must include:
- the trainee's reasons for the change,
- a copy of the letter of notice or release,
- the new employer's employment contract and further training program
Job changes and extensions must be applied for as soon as possible at the:
Federal Office for Migration (FOM) Emigration and Trainees
I will be working for an UN organization in Geneva. Shall I apply for the Youth Mobility Program.
No. In this case, contact the competent Swiss representation for your area in order to find out which work permit you need.
My future employer has told me that I don’t need a work visa. Is this true?
No. Contact the Embassy or the Consulate General responsible for your area, in order to make sure that you have all the necessary documents and the required permits for Switzerland.
I’m a young professional (trainee) and would like to work in Switzerland with the YMP. How do I know whether the salary, offered by a potential employer, does commensurate with similar positions in the local area?
Please consult the following links:
- www.lohnrechner.ch/ (FR/GE/IT)
- www.swissinfo.ch/eng/Specials/Switzerland:_How_to/Work_Life/Salaries.html (Eng)
I am an EU citizen and would like to work in Switzerland. Can I apply for the Youth Mobility Program?
No. For further information about working in Switzerland as a holder of an European (EU) passport, visit the website of the Federal Office for Migration: