PRODEL - Program for strengthening municipal capacities for local development
PRODEL III contributes to the decentralization reform through introducing its municipal autonomy approach into new laws and policies, through training of “multipliers” and creation of advisory services to extend its tool of Municipal Development Strategy to more municipalities. The EDM strengthens municipal autonomy and efficient use of local resources for production infrastructure and services, while promoting participation and inclusion.
Gestión de las finanzas públicas
- Research Organisation of South East
|Contexto||During phase II of PRODEL, the country made further progress towards decentralized territorial management, which was endorsed by the new constitution (2019). Until 2023, the legal framework that will regulate the autonomous functioning of the municipalities is expected to be completed (law of municipalities, local competencies, public policies for territorial development, law of SMEs). The process faces an implicit conflict of interest as regards the degree of acceptable municipal autonomy and resistance from some sectoral institutions and provincial governments to cede power to municipalities. At the same time, the economic crisis, aggravated by the Covid-19 and causing growing vulnerabilities, has evidenced to the national authorities the potential of local development as a lower cost alternative to mitigate shortages and promote production at scale. PRODEL III takes advantage of these opportunities to promote systemic change towards participatory local governance, extend the use of EDM and strengthen political dialogue. This is in line with SDC's interest in supporting innovative experiences of participatory and inclusive local management in various regions of the world.|
|Objetivos||The quality of life of the population in the country's municipalities including vulnerable groups has improved, through a consolidated use of the municipal development strategies at national level.|
1,265,619 people (49% women and 15% disadvantaged people) have new products and participation mechanisms;
800 (50% women) government officials and authorities benefit from training and advice for local management;
60 people (30 women) are certified as multipliers;
45 producers (18 women) benefit from funds.
|Efectos a medio plazo||
Outcome 1: Improved and extended EDM management to the country's municipalities.
Outcome 2: Increased municipal self-sufficiency by promoting local production chains.
Outcome 3: Local decentralized management consolidated as part of the country's new legal and institutional framework.
1. National capacities were generated for extension and support to municipalities for management by EDM.
2. The productive capacity and the provision of services increased in the project's municipalities.
3. Tools generated by PRODEL to strengthen municipal autonomy were incorporated in national public policies and new legislative documents.
Resultados de las fases anteriores:
- 1,000,000 people have access to more and improved products and services in the municipal markets (construction materials, canned food, educational services, and cultural projects) and benefit from better mechanisms of citizen participation.
- 480,000 women and 270,000 people from disadvantaged groups benefit from equity promotion actions (priorities for employment, services, and subsidies).
- 90% of the participating municipalities (24 of 27) raised their Territorial Development Index.
- Strengthened policy advocacy: new constitution endorsed municipal autonomy; Ministry of Economy and Planning (MEP) recognizes the EDM as an official tool of municipal management; Council of Ministers approved public policy to promote territorial development.
|Dirección / Officina Federal responsable||
|Contrapartes del proyecto||
Contraparte del contrato
|Coordinación con otros proyectos y actores||
With SDC programs: PADIT, GEPAC, Habitat II, PyE, PIAL, PAAS, APOCOOP
National Institute of Economic Research - INIE
University Chair “Science, Technology, Society and Innovation” - CTS
Community Initiative Exchange and Reference Center – CIERIC
National Association of Economists – ANEC
Institute of Physical Planning - IPF
Law Faculty of University of Havana – FD/UH
Cuban Society for the Promotion of Renewable Energy Sources CUBASOLAR
Communication Faculty of University of Havana- FCOM/UH
|Presupuesto||Fase en curso Presupuesto suizo CHF 2’200’000 Presupuesto actual suizo ya emitido CHF 2’270’731 Total del proyecto desde la primera fase Presupuesto inclusive contrapartes del proyecto CHF 9’000’000|
|Fases del proyecto||Fase 3 01.04.2021 - 30.06.2024 (Fase en curso) Fase 2 01.04.2016 - 31.03.2021 (Completed) Fase 1 01.01.2012 - 31.03.2016 (Completed)|