Contribution to non-state local governance actors
The project is a contribution to and a strategic partnership with the Coalition of three major non-state actors in the promotion and strengthening of local governance in Kyrgyzstan. They will be financially and technically capacitated and empowered to play their role in advancing local democracy and local governance for the benefit of people in Kyrgyzstan. The partnership builds on over 10 years of Swiss support in local governance in Kyrgyzstan as well as on ownership by the government.
Participación democrática y sociedad civil
Gestión de las finanzas públicas
- Other international or foreign NGO North
|Contexto||Since October 2020 the national governance context in Kyrgyzstan has been characterized by a more limited system of checks and balances, consolidation of power in the hands of the president, which also affects local governance. In an attempt to centralize power, district and regional level authorities have received and are expected to get more power. The risk is high that it will happen at the expense of local selfgovernments (LSGs). However, local governance is a key area where citizens have a say about and influence on decisions affecting their lives. Prior to political transformation of 2020, over the period of 10 years, significant progress was achieved at the local level in terms of citizen participation in local decisionmaking and consideration of people’s priorities, including those of left behind groups, in local budgets. Switzerland has made a major contribution to this progress through its local governance support.|
|Objetivos||People of Kyrgyzstan benefit from stronger, more inclusive, responsible and accountable local governance system.|
|Grupos destinarios||People living in Kyrgyzstan with a special focus on women and vulnerable groups; 484 local selfgovernments (LSGs); the State Agency for State Service and Local Self Government under the Cabinet of Ministers; local civil society organizations working with LSGs and/or in the area of local governance.|
|Efectos a medio plazo||
- Enabling framework is built for local governance priorities advocated by the Coalition;
- The LSGs, supported by the Coalition, provide citizen-oriented services and gender sensitive and socially inclusive development planning;
- The Coalition is effective, sustainable and recognized in pursuing local governance development and advocacy goals.
Since it is a contribution and a strategic partnership with the Coalition of non-state local governance actors that foresees a certain degree of flexibility and freedom in defining interventions, no outputs have been identified but rather working areas for engagement of the Coalition members:
- Working Area 1. Advocacy and policy engagement to advance local governance priorities at the national level;
- Working Area 2. Local initiatives for citizen engagement and community capacity;
- Working Area 3. Institutional development, network-building and partnerships.
Resultados de las fases anteriores:
Baseline (2022) for the first phase:
- 37% of women and 37% of men are satisfied with the performance of LSGs (target: 50%);
- 40% of people (30% female respondents, 50% male respondents) are participating in and influencing public service provision, decision-making and budgets in their localities (target: 45%: 45% female respondents, 55% male respondents);
- 10 % of municipalities purposefully implementing development measures for identified vulnerable groups, taking into account their needs and applying new mechanisms (target: 35%).
|Dirección / Officina Federal responsable||
|Contrapartes del proyecto||
Contraparte del contrato
Development Policy Institute, with subcontractors:
- Union of Local Self-Governments
- Local Governance Academy of Central Asia
|Coordinación con otros proyectos y actores||
Public Service Improvement; Civic Engagement for Development; Araket for better life in new settlements.
Successful Aimak 2; Active citizens.
Effective Governance for Economic Development.
|Presupuesto||Fase en curso Presupuesto suizo CHF 4’080’000 Presupuesto actual suizo ya emitido CHF 726’317|